• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Higher reserves at Heritage ANA?

9 posts in this topic

It seems to me that the reserve prices at the Heritage ANA auction were significantly higher this time than in past auctions, at least on the coins that I was looking at. It also seems like a higher percentage of the coins went no-bid during this auction. Did anyone else notice this, or am I just imagining things?

I bid on more coins that I usually do, and did not notice any more coins than usual, % wise, at least, ;) with especially high reserves.

I won three coins, one had no reserve, one had a reserve well below what it sold for last time, and one I don't know what the reserve was because it was met and below what the bid was when it posted.

But I did see 2 coins that were worth around $300 with reserves set at $7500 that I thought was rather strange. :o

This was one:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1114&Lot_No=8435

this was the other:

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1114&Lot_No=8344

Steve, I have noticed higher reserves recently on many of the gold coin denomination auctions at Heritage, B&M, ANR and even DLRC. Branch mint gold coins from dollars to double eagles auction reserves have increased probably 20% in the past (4) months at all the venues that I mentioned. I have been actively buying lower grade AU58 to MS62, quarter eagles, half eagles and eagles recently and all the auction houses that I deal with have increased auction reserves since April 2008. I believe that the metal futures increases and increased buyer attention and demand are driving higher gold coin prices.

Dave,

Maybe the owner confused it with an 1846 O Tall date, at least that would be a little more understandable for the super high reserve. Can't fathom a reason for the capped bust 1813 half dollar reserve. I truly don't understand why these didn't sell. lol

Unless the sellers grandfather told him to put them up for sale and if they didn't sell he could have them both. :devil:

It seems to me that the reserve prices at the Heritage ANA auction were significantly higher this time than in past auctions, at least on the coins that I was looking at. It also seems like a higher percentage of the coins went no-bid during this auction. Did anyone else notice this, or am I just imagining things?

i see your point and it is well taken and i happen to agree as i have seen this more and more within the last two years at heritage

and as usual bears and bulls make money pigs (high reserves) go broke

also an auction is sold to the highest bidder so HIGH reserves are not a true auction just a thinly veiled retail market also---------- teletrade seems to do this greatly with their "auctions"

It’s been my experience that the big ANA annual convention is one of the worst places to buy run-of-the-mill coins. The demand is high, and the prices are steep. If you are looking for something that is really hard to find and you are willing to pay top dollar, the ANA can be a great place to shop. Otherwise I’ve found it best to skip the ANA show and go to shows that have less hype.

Yes, while I am relatively new to coins in general, I did research the 1890's CC Gold Doubles and the recent history showed a definitive curve on the upswing.

I saw a XF45 that had exceptional eye appeal and paid AU50 price for it from the recent Heritage ANA auction.

Will it be wise or foolish? Time will tell, but they are scarce and finding one that is not heavily abraded with good color and even wear is worth the risk$.