• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think that the NGC REGISTRY rating system is someone OFF ..

3 posts in this topic

I personally think that MORE POINTS SHOULD BE AWARDED for HIGH tecnically graded coins than what they currently do ... which is awarding HIGH Points for lower graded CAM/DCAM coins.

In "MOST" case scnarios I have seen - the HIGH technical graded coins are 1 /1 coins or 1/2 coins and a cam/dcam coin can be a 1/10 or 1/8 coin and still get outpointed in thier current system.

Case nad Point

Postion #3 and Position #4 in the 1967 SMS Registry ...

Your thoughts ?

I've felt that this was a problem with just about every special designation including FT, FBL, FB, etc. NGC seems to give these special designations entirely too much weight in the point system, especially considering that a coin that does not have these "strike quality" designations is not necessarily a poorly/weakly struck coin.

In my registry there's a 1955 S MS67 dime that is beautiful and I think it's FT but the holder looks like it's older than the FT designation. That coin gets about 200 points. A 1955 S MS67FT dime gets ~1600 points. That just doesn't seem right.

The entire subject of FT, FBL, FS and VAM's with all with the outrageous value changes does seem a little imbalanced. The problem that I have is that we keep getting more of these designations and prices to match. Look at the VAM thing and the prices for them. It is getting hard to just buy a nice Peace dollar or Morgan any more without someone adding a premium and assigning it a VAM number.