• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just in Time for the Hurricane

11 posts in this topic

Well the postal carrier brought several packages I was expecting today. I guess I know now that they're safe with me.

Everyone is getting ready for the storm. The gas stations are running out of fuel. All the bottled water in the area is being bought up. The runs have been made on the batteries. The storm is coming right down our throats and the last time something like this hit we lost power for 5 days and water for 3 days. They're telling us it could be 2 weeks this time.

My family is going to have our "hurricane party" tonight. Basically just hanging out in the safety of the house waiting for the storm to come. The house has survived major storms and whethered 100-year floods without so much as a drop coming in.

The good part of a Hurricane? The parents bring out all the good cuts of meat and cook them just in case the power goes out and everything in the freezer spoils. :)

I also live on the Texas coast in Orange and am preparing for Tropical Storm Edouard. I just hope it doesn't reach hurricane status.

If it does reach hurricane status and seems to be headed this way, I will just load up the wife, dog and of course my coins and head for Austin. :grin:

Y'all ought to head out to Midland in West Texas where my mom is. They never get rain and she can cook up a storm (no pun intended).

Be safe anyone and everyone in the path.

Rey

Hunker down, we had to prepair for Dolley. Since it went well to the south of here, we only got 50 mph winds and 7" of rain.

Your coins can be replaced, your family cannot.

Latest news says that T.S. Edward is stalled 230 miles south of Houston with winds down to 35 MPH. We have worse storms than that weekly here in soggy Blaine Washington on Puget Sound in the winter months. I guess that the big thing to worry about now is how many inches of rain will fall over the next 48 hours.

I had the pleasure of enjoying the storm out on this oil rig I'm on. The worst of the storm passed north of me, I think, but we still had a rainy, windy, wild day. I'm about 100-120 miles out in the gulf. No boats can come out here, so the entire rig is pretty much stalled. Its kind of fun though, because this rig is a floater, so we are riding the waves (and there are some big ones :) ). Its nice to fall asleep to, the rig is gently rocking you to sleep.

Good luck to everyone who is in the path of the storm!

Stay safe and I hope that it does little to no damage to you and your neighbors homes...but you did make me chuckle about the cook-off. We lost power for a week in 2006 from Hurricane Isabella and our cookout came 2 days after when it became apparent that it was "eat it now or throw it away".....and yes, when we left out of the immediate path of the storm for a day I also took my coins --along with the wife..

Just heard on the radio that Edouard is expected to reach cat 1 and have landfall today. Expected to make landfall near Galveston. My birthplace.... yes, in case you were wondering I'm an islander!!! Good to see a lot of guys from Texas hanging around here, me, I've lived near the coast and love it there... unfortunately, the job keeps me near Fort Worth. Best of luck to those in the path of the Hurricane... I'll keep you in my prayers as well as my brother who lives in Stafford, near Houston.

That storm was mostly bark with little bite (Thankfully). From what I hear it made landfall with winds of 60 mph. It never made hurricane status. My town and county were some of the harder hit areas early in the day but it was all on the other side of town. Most of that area lost power and there was some flooding. Our yard was trashed; broken twigs everywhere, but that's it. The storm apparently sped up as it made landfall which spared most areas the flooding that had local authorities worried the most.

All and all it was just a wet day. Most people still went to work and there were even people who went shopping at the mall. I'll never understand just how laid back and unconcerned we Texans can be.

Good to hear everything went well for you there, Rev. I was in bed all day ( I work the night shift) so I didn't get to keep up with things, but I don't think it ever did actually make it to hurricane status. Just a practice run for later in the season!