• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A bunch of new Anacs Certificate coins for the type set.......

10 posts in this topic

I aquired quite a few new additions to the Anacs Certificate type set I am building.

First coin is now in an NGC holder. Here is the coin with the certificate, what do you think NGC graded it. The original owner submitted it to NGC before I purchased it.

1927o.jpg

1927r.jpg

1927anacs.jpg

This next coin is obviously a problem coin as stated on the certificate. However, I purchased it do to the fact it may be quite some time before I see another trade dollar with the certificate. I will be looking for a problem free example to replace this.

1877so.jpg

1877sr.jpg

1877sanacs.JPG

Next is a bust half. This coin is a solid AU coin detail wise, but does have a few hairlines on the obverse. Maybe an early example of net grading. The reverse is very nice.

1826o.jpg

1826r.jpg

1826anacs.jpg

The next two coins are modern and pretty tough slots to fill, as there are not al ot of modern coins that were submitted based on the fact that I don't see them very often. Usually they are some kind of error coin like the DDR lincoln I added a few weeks ago. These were purchased from a board member......Thanks again.

1950o.jpg

1950r.jpg

1950anacs.jpg

1953o.jpg

1953r.jpg

1953anacs.jpg

The collection is coming along nicely.

JJ

Very nice set. You are going after another tough type set similar to myself. I am going after one in PCGS Rattlers but I am keeping mine in the holders, instead of cracking and putting into a dansco. Maybe once I have them all for a certain page I might crack but I am also building a registry set which leads to the age old question.

If you have a registry set do all the coins still have to be in the holders. I at first thought no but recently have changed my mind since the grade is no longer a gaurentee since it isn't in the holder.

For the one person that decided to play along........Here ya go.

1927ngc.jpg

I think that says quite a bit about the old Anacs graded coins. ;) (thumbs u

I did not submitt this coin. Originally this coin was on ebay raw with the certificate about 2 months ago. I bid it up to $160 and did not meet the reserve. I contacted the seller after the auction ended and told him I would go $180. He wanted like $300 and was sure the coin was a 66RD and decided to submitt the coin to NGC. Fast forward 2 months. I see the coin in an NGC 65RD holder by the same seller on Ebay. Again I bid the coin up to $160 and did not meet the reserve. I contact the seller and he still wants $300 for the coin. I politely tell him he's asking about 2X what the coin is worth and send him a link to the PCGS priceguide. Again I offer him $180 and he accepts my offer. He should have just accepted it the first time and not spent money on two listings and grading fees.

So now the dillema. The coin is slabbed full red. Do I crack it and put it in the Dansco and risk it turning RB, or do I leave it in it's new holder?

So now the dillema. The coin is slabbed full red. Do I crack it and put it in the Dansco and risk it turning RB, or do I leave it in it's new holder?

I wonder, assuming that you decide to crack it out, if a light coating of oil would slow down the "browning" process? I'm certainly no copper expert, though.

I was going to guess MS64 Red before I saw the NGC grade. But I'm not too experienced in grading MS Lincolns.

I've only owned two of the ANACS certificates and I sold one to Conder101 a while back. The other was an MS 63/63 Lincoln commem. It now resides in an NGC MS64 holder but I still have the certificate.

I think these are like any other grading service. Some are undergraded and some overgraded. I have read in a Bowers book that there was a significant shift in MS grading standards around 1985 where coins like MS65 Morgans became MS63s. I suppose that is one of the reasons that PCGS came on the scene the next year. I was still primarily collecting low cost circulated coins back then so I missed out on all the fun.