• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my two Morgans

16 posts in this topic

The first one is 1878-CC

It does have pl surfaces but I was trying to get the best image

without glare.

The second is a 1884-O

Trying to see if its worth submitting.

Stefanie

1878-CCObverse.jpg

1878-CCReverse-1.jpg

1884-Oobverse.jpg

1884-Oreverse.jpg

1878-CC: probably MS-63. Interesting coloring, contact marks are in evidence but mostly minor.

1884-O: AU-55. Hard to tell how much of the evident wear is due to that mint's strike weaknesses, but I'm sure there is some over the ear and on the eagle's chest.

1878-CC: probably MS-63. Interesting coloring, contact marks are in evidence but mostly minor.

HUh .. 1878-cc Sorry is maybe XF Check reverse a little closer :)

1884-O: AU-55. Hard to tell how much of the evident wear is due to that mint's strike weaknesses, but I'm sure there is some over the ear and on the eagle's chest.

This is not bad at all for an "O" mint MS62*

They probably BOTH will slab

63353.jpg.effa2c3a672107cbb06057e42780420d.jpg

HUh .. 1878-cc Sorry is maybe XF Check reverse a little closer :)

This is not bad at all for an "O" mint MS62*

They probably BOTH will slab

Yup.I didn't look close enough at the CC reverse.I did see the flat breast feathers. usually doesn't mean too much,but then I looked at the claws , olive branch and wreath more closely. Very flat talons and that whole are looks worn.Funny,it doesn't match the Obverse for wear. Revised opinion,maybe MS 60.

Is it only me? The CC mintmark doesn't look right. The center of both "C's" is too round and it should be more of an oval. I give the '78-CC a bodybag.

Chris

Is it only me? The CC mintmark doesn't look right. The center of both "C's" is too round and it should be more of an oval. I give the '78-CC a bodybag.

Chris

I am not a VAM expert but I think it is:

1878-CC VAM-5 Wide CC

5 II3 - B1d (Wide CC) I-2 R-3

Obverse II3- Point broken off star 4 on right.

Reverse B1d- B1 type reverse with long arrow shaft. Widely spaced mint marks at medium height.

And if you check VAMworld the MM tends to be rounded....I think?

Stefanie

I maybe wrong Stefanie but your 78cc looks like it may have a grease filled die when struck. Here is a 84 that is similar to it. (shrug)

Picture003-12-1.jpg

You know what???...........you may be right ;) that would explain much!

Stefanie

I agree, Irvin, I do not feel that is wear on the reverse talons and arrows of the 1878. A grease filled die is a real possibility. I truly like this coin and believe it would grade a grade higher than most feel. MS64(don't see any sign of PL from these pics). The 1884 O is quite typical of the poorly struck specimens from the New Orleans Mint. I still don't think it would grade higher than MS62 though.

Nice color in your coins, Stephanie. Fairly nice eye appeal.

Good luck however you go(I would send in the '78 for slabbing). JMO

Jim

1878-CCReverse-1.jpg

Stefanie, this is still bugging me. I've examined the mintmark on all of my 78CC's (6) and I've even compared yours to those at VAMWorld and the "Bible". I've yet to find a 78CC mintmark with a "fat" center. I did find a 60's Seated Dollar with a similar shape, but that is it.

I wish you could get some close-ups with more light on the area. Do you have a microscope to examine the base of the letters? If they were added, you might be able to see all or part of a seam where the letters meet the field.

Please prove me wrong so I can sleep at night.

Chris

1878-CCReverse-1.jpg

Stefanie, this is still bugging me. I've examined the mintmark on all of my 78CC's (6) and I've even compared yours to those at VAMWorld and the "Bible". I've yet to find a 78CC mintmark with a "fat" center. I did find a 60's Seated Dollar with a similar shape, but that is it.

I wish you could get some close-ups with more light on the area. Do you have a microscope to examine the base of the letters? If they were added, you might be able to see all or part of a seam where the letters meet the field.

Chris

I am very happy that you are looking at my CC :)

The more I look at this I think it may be a strike through or planchet flaw.

More pics as requested :grin:

Stefanie

1878-CCmorgancloseups001-1.jpg

1878-CCmorgancloseups004-1.jpg

20080805_132059.jpg

20080805_132109.jpg

20080805_132139.jpg

20080805_132248.jpg

20080805_132628.jpg

1878-CCReverse-1.jpg

Chris

I am very happy that you are looking at my CC :)

The more I look at this I think it may be a strike through or planchet flaw.

More pics as requested :grin:

Stefanie

1878-CCmorgancloseups001-1.jpg

1878-CCmorgancloseups004-1.jpg

20080805_132059.jpg

20080805_132109.jpg

20080805_132139.jpg

20080805_132248.jpg

20080805_132628.jpg

Okay! That's much better. To my poor eyes, the toning was hiding part of the letters, and as Irvin suggested, I also think it is the result of a grease-filled die. It even looks like the grease may have filled part the upper serif of the "C" on the right.

Whether or not a TPG would make allowances for a grease-filled die, I cannot say. If so, I would think it would get a 64.

Thanks, Stefanie!

Chris

There are numerous varieties for the 1878CC. Here is a photo of the VAM1A. It's not a TOP 100, but it is one of my favorites.

Chris

63449.jpg.3eb5e6edfa264d617cf3ee5ca2f23f44.jpg