• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions on which book to get

8 posts in this topic

Right now I'm almost finished reading the book, "Numismatic Forgery".

I'm looking for another book on gold coins. I'd prefer one on classic head gold, but since I can't seem to find one, I've found 3 other gold coin books. If anyone knows of any others any information would be appreciated.

I would like to know which one has the best information, or if you own the book(s), which one you think is best. How do they differ? I thought I'd make this thread because I want to get a good book that I like before I go and spend alot of money on these huge books. Since I don't know the contents of the book, it's hard for me to choose one. The first one here is sold by whitman, rather expensive. I bet I could find it on ebay cheaper. The second book I found in used condition for a good price on ebay (Not in the link), the third one I would like to possibly get because I do have one double eagle left (saint gaudens) and would like to learn more about the history of my double eagle.

http://www.whitmanbooks.com/Default.aspx?Page=81&ProductID=0794817653

"Encylopedia of U.S Gold Coins 1795-1933"

By Jeff Garett and Ron Guth

"United States Gold Coins An Illustrated History"

By Q. David Bowers

http://cgi.ebay.com/United-States-Gold-Coins-An-Illustrated-History-D-Bower_W0QQitemZ3951051582QQihZ004QQcategoryZ530QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

"A guide book of double eagle gold coins"

Written by David Q. Bowers

http://www.whitmanbooks.com/Default.aspx?Page=81&ProductID=079481784X

Stinky,

You're right, there is no book on Classic Head gold.

As for the three you listed, it really depends on what you want.

I have a copy of Garrett/Guth - it's a big book (636 pages and 8 1/2" x 11"). It has some introductory text and then devotes about a third of a page to each and every gold coin - circulation strikes, proofs, patterns, etc. You get a nice picture of each coin, but, frankly, there's not much information you can pack into a paragraph (which is basically what each coin gets).

I don't have a copy of the Bowers book, but I did look through it a few years ago - as I recall, it's more of a "coffee table" book - lots of pictures, not much text.

I also have a copy of the Red Book of double eagles. For $17, this is a great value. There's a lot of text about double eagles, discussions of each of the major sunken treasure ships and their contents and a half page or so on each coin.

As I said, it really depends on what you want: Do you want an overview of all US gold coins with lots of pictures or do you want a lot of information?

If you happen to be lucky enough to have family members who would spend that much on you for your birthday, etc., I'd suggest putting the Garrett/Guth and Bowers books on your birthday, etc. lists.

I'd also suggest looking for copies on Bookfinder.com . It's a meta-search engine and very useful for finding used or new books inexpensively.

Edited to add: If you're looking for other booksand information on gold coins, then Doug Winter's website is a great place to start: you can see the books he's written and you can read a lof of articles - for free! (and you can't beat free).

I own all three, and each is good for its purpose.

Book #1 is a good overview of US gold coins, but not much depth on the individual issues.

Book #2 is has more meat, more history, but is less encyclopedic.

Book #3, obviously, focuses on double eagles only. While there is a fair amount of history that is applicable to all US gold coins, it is obviously more geared to the collector/investor for $20 Libs and Saints.

I have already provided the advice I can before and what you do is up to you. But I find one comment in your post very interesting. You say that one or more of them are very expensive and for a book, you are probably right. But the question I have for you is this, if you find the books expensive, how you propose to be able to afford the coins which are the subbect matter within them?

If you do decide to get:

"United States Gold Coins An Illustrated History"

By Q. David Bowers

look on abebooks.com, Amazon used sellers or just use bookfinder as DaveG suggested. That eBay link lists it as $75. You can get a fine copy for half of that.

Kevin, The Harry W. Bass, Jr., Museum Sylloge, by Q. David Bowers has plates and quite a bit of information on pre-1840 gold coins. Plus the book has a great many very fine plate pictures of gold coins. I do not believe that this book is still in print because I bought my copy several years ago, but you may be able to find a copy at Whitman Books. Plus, there is a website: www.harrybassfoundation.org where there is a great deal of information