• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1829 Liberty Cap Half of a Dime

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and today bought this 1829 half a dime. Orginally, I was searching for a Morgan Dollar - when this tiny tiny little coin got in the way in the coin box. And I was struck by just how remarkably neat it was!

So I bought it. I really don't know a lot about these. I was wondering if maybe this is about XF? I saw a few pictures, of high quality pieces that had huge camera zooms where you could almost see even the hair curls on the obverse. I kept trying to see if I could see curls, but the coin is just so small. I think the very fine hair curls have been worn away. Probably this is not AU, but I wanted to see if anyone who knows these would weigh in? I paid about $185 for this, so I'm guessing the person thought it was XF.

Cheers!

BustDime1829a.jpgBustDime1829b.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, this coin looks to have been cleaned, and harshly, from the photos. If you have a return privilege, I would take advantage of it.

I'm of the school of thought that these images are just to small to judge a coin of this nature...please provide larger, clearer images before we assertain exactly what you have here.

Welcome to the forum CatandCradles

MunkyMan95, this Buds for you :grin:

Welcome cat and cradles, the picture is small and the lighting is poor, hard to tell. The surfaces from the stars to the Liberty and eagle devices should have some mint luster and they don't appear to have it. This may mean that the coin has been cleaned. Can you get a larger picture?

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

The coin may have been cleaned, as one would expect such an old piece of silver to have tarnished after 170 years or so. However, it appears to me to have AU details or better. $185 would be very fair if it is not cleaned, or only very lightly so.

Welcome to the neighborhood, C&C! The only thing I know about half dimes is that if I put one on a white cocktail napkin on the dining room table, I wouldn't be able to find it. It does look like it may have been cleaned, but it is hard to tell because I left my Hubble somewhere and can't find it either.

Chris

I can't tell either from the size (which I realize is tough with half dimes because of their basic dinkiness).

Have you louped it to see if you can see evidence of rough cleaning?

In my humble opinion, it's a decent XF 40, except for what I also believe to be a less than desirable cleaning. Also, above the drapery line on the point of the bust, is there some sort of mark or nick there?

Nice enough coin for the type, but I have to agree that if it's an option, I too would return it.

RI AL