• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1953 Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67--What is it worth!

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the value of an NGC graded MS67 1953 Jefferson Nickel. The population report lists only 5 examples (all NGC graded). There are no values listed in any of the price guides and Heritage has never sold an 1953 NGC MS67 at auction.

Since there are only 15 FS step examples in all grades, one would think that the 5 NGC graded MS67's would be worth at least as much as the PCGS MS66's (only 20) which have been auctioning for about $300.

Any info about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That would have been my guess as well, but someone on cointalk said he saw one go on teletrade for $80. I am thinking, he must be mistaken. If not, I need to find a way to turn back time.

The PCGS registry has (20) MS66, 1953-P nickels, (7) MS65FS, 1953-P nickels and no MS67, 1953-P nickels. A MS67, 1953-P nickel would be a conditional rarity from either service with only (5) graded by NGC and some of those will be regrades of the same coin, I'm sure.

The population report lists only 5 examples (all NGC graded).

Wouldn't an NGC pop report only contain NGC graded coins? (shrug)

Sorry MT, I was a little vague in my OP. I was quoting the total number of graded examples from the PCGS and NGC population reports combined and specified that all of the MS67 examples were NGC graded because there is a huge difference in price for this coin as it relates to which service graded the coin. Sorry for the confusion.