• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could someone look at my collection and tell me what they think it is worth?

12 posts in this topic

I just inherited a coin collection from my grandfather. I have no idea about coins and what they are worth. My husband wants to use the coins but I do not mainly because of the sentimental value. I would however like to know if I have any real jewels in my collection or not. Here is my list of coins I have.

1957 silver dollar

1976 2 dollar bill

i have pennys dated 1982,1981,1980,1979,1976,1974,1973,1956,1952,1951,1949,1946,1944,1943,1940,1937,1917

I have weird looking dimes dated 1945,1944,1943,1942,1941,1940,1939,1936,1935,1926,1925. 6 of the dimes have a small d or s on the bottom which is different than the others.

1965 and 1962 quarter

1928 quarter dollar

1979 one dollar

silver dollars 1972,1971, and ones with 1776-1976 and a 1880 silver dollar

1864 two cent piece

1912 nickel with a v on it

three nickels with an Indian on one side buffalo on the other. can only read one date which is 1930.

1963,1943,1942,1940 nickels

half dollars 1943,1944,1948,1958,1963, 1964,1966,1967,1968,1971,1972,1974, 1776-1976,1979,1981,1983,1985,1989,1992,1995

I also have a roll of newer dimes and a roll of pennys not sure of the dates.

Thanks to anyone who gives me any information!!

first welcome to the boards here :)

your weird dimes would be merc dimes :) also pictures would help. the values go by date ,mint,condition. i recomend taking pics and maybe grabbing a red book of coins :)

if you can take pictures of:

half dollars 1943,1944,1948,1958,1963, 1964,1966,1967,1968,

1912 nickel with a v

1864 two cent piece

1928 quarter dollar

these are the most probable to be worth more depending on the grade and such in my opinion :)

Unless I miscounted it's all worth at least $25.94. So much depends on the condition or grade of the coins listed it is not possible to give a better (higer) valuation from what you've listed.

I too would suggest you borrow a RED BOOK from the library. It's also known as A GUIDE BOOK OF UNITED STATES COINS by R.S. YEOMAN. It contains all the coins you've listed and has mintages and approximations of a value beyond face. It's a good start in determining if anything you have might be rare.

ALSO RE: 1976 2 dollar bill

The note, unless it is in perfect condition without folds, curls, creases, stains or bent corners is worth $2. A perfect one might be worth $4.

1957 silver dollar

You are going to be very rich......

....or that was a typo. :devil::grin: There were no silver dollars minted in 1957. If the date is 1957, I'd guess it was a half dollar with Benjamin Franklin on the front. Not an expensive coin UNLESS it is in VERY high grade. If it's a silver dollar dated 1867, that can be a valuable coin....

To be honest, nobody is going to be able to tell you how much all that is worth in any precision unless they see very good pictures of the coin, or even better, the coins in-person. Much of the value of these coins is tied to their condition, which should really be seen in-hand in order to do with any accuracy.

Good luck!

So much depends on the condition. A coin that is a key date/mint, or a major error, or is in excellent condition, is always worth more all things considered. Here are the minimums they'd be worth, based mainly on low condition and metal value:

1957 dollar--very interesting, as there is no such thing. Unless you mean a silver certificate. Roughly $2.

$2 bill--$2.

Pennies: less than $1.

Mercury dimes: melt value is about $1.20 apiece, so about $14.

60s Quarters: one is worth $3 for the metal.

1928 Quarter: probably worth $8-15.

Modern silver dollars, $1.10 each, so $4.50

1880 dollar: no less than $18, probably closer to $25, but this is a real wild card.

2c piece, could be worth from $20-200.

1912 nickel, probably $10-odd.

Buffalo nickels, likely $5 the lot

Jeff nickels: two are part silver, so $2.50 the lot

Halves, six are 90% silver and worth at least $7 apiece, so $42 for those. Rest, not much premium, maybe $18 the lot as a couple are part silver.

Overall guess, very rough and knowing nothing about condition: maybe $175ish. Unlikely to be any less. Potentially more.

Hi, Karalynn! Welcome to the neighborhood.

First, let me begin by mentioning that some of the more knowledgeable members are probably attending the ANA Money Show in Baltimore this week, so some responses may be slow in coming.

Judging from the list, it looks like your grandfather probably saved coins he found in circulation with no particular thought of building sets. Some of the coins have silver content, so if nothing else, they do have a "melt value" that is still greater than the face amount. Any dime, quarter, half dollar or dollar that is dated before 1965 is 90% silver.

You mention a 1957 silver dollar. Since they did not make any dollar coins in 1957, do you mean that it is a paper dollar? If so, it would be a Silver Certificate. Again, I'm assuming that it is a circulated specimen. Paper currency is not my forte, so I will let someone else chime in on the notes.

As for all of the coins, it would be hard for anyone to determine a conditional value without seeing the coins. Whether or not any of them are of a particularly scarce date and/or mintmark can only be determined by viewing the coins. It might be helpful for you to find a dealer in your area who can help you. However, before doing so, it would be prudent to get a copy of the Red Book of United States Coins from your local library to learn a little about coin collecting. One word of caution, the retail prices quoted in the book are just a guide, and most dealers will do business based on wholesale, not retail, prices.

Here is some general information about your coins:

Mintmarks

The mintmark denotes the Mint facility where the coin was struck. 19th Century mintmarks are O - New Orleans, CC - Carson City, S - San Francisco and if there is no mintmark, it was struck in Philadelphia. There are two other mintmarks, but they pertain to gold coins. 20th Century mintmarks are S - San Francisco, D - Denver, W - West Point and, depending upon the year it was struck, P - Philadelphia. Again, if there is no mintmark, it was also struck in Philadelphia.

Lincoln Cents

Only Brits like our good friend Dooly call them pennies. I don't specialize in the Lincoln Cents, so I will let someone else help you with these. As a matter of fact, my specialty is Morgan Dollars, so I will have very little specific information on most of the other coins.

Two-Cent Pieces

I know absolutely nothing about these.

Nickels

The 1912 is a Liberty Nickel. The "V" is the Roman Numeral for "5". They were struck from 1883-1913, but the 1913 was not an official issue of the Mint. The ones with the Indian on the obverse and the Buffalo on the Reverse are Indian Head Nickels, but they are commonly called Buffalo Nickels. The nickels dated from 1940-1963 are Jefferson Nickels. Again, this is not my specialty, but some of the nickels produced during World War II were made of silver.

Winged Liberty Dimes

These are the wierd looking ones that you have. They are also called "Mercury Dimes", and they are 90% silver.

Quarter Dollars

The 1962 & 1965 are Washington Quarters. The 1962 is 90% silver; the 1928 is a Standing Liberty Quarter, and it is 90% silver.

Half Dollars

The ones dated 1943 & 1944 are Walking Liberty Half Dollars; those dated 1948-1963 are Franklin Half Dollars. All of these are 90% silver. All of those date 1964-1995 are Kennedy Half Dollars; only the 1964 is 90% silver; the 1966-1968 coins are 40% silver, and all of the rest are copper/nickel (called "clad").

Dollars

The 1880 is a Morgan Dollar and is 90% silver. It is a common date, so unless it is in extremely good condition, it won't be worth too much. You can find the mintmark on the reverse centered below the ribbon just above "ONE DOLLAR". If there is no mintmark, it was struck in Philadelphia. The 1971 & 1972 are Eisenhower Dollars (called Ike's); the 1979 is a Susan B. Anthony. They were not very popular, and were only struck 1979-1981 and again in 1999.

No matter what, never!, never!, never! clean any coin.

In all likelihood, your collection probably has more sentimental value than anything because it was you grandfather's. But you never know!

I hope this helps.

Chris

First things first:

DO NOT CLEAN / POLISH / RUB THE COINS!!!!! DON'T DO IT!

Cleaning up coins destroys any value they may have.

This article has some of the basics that you need to know to begin with:

Inherited Coin Collections

Even if yours isn't inherited, you will find some info there about how coins are valued, how to safely handle them, and some other basics.

I also have a roll of newer dimes and a roll of pennys not sure of the dates.

Believe it or not, these may be worth more than all of the other coins combined!

What are the dates and mint marks?

Unless the coins are in exceptionally high condition or you have a scarce die variety hidden in there, they are of limited value financially though I do not know how much off fhand. But it is still nice that you have them for the sentimental reasons.