• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about 1812 coin with rotated reverse.

1 post in this topic

I am a newbee to this forum. I am interested in anyone's opinion about a coin I have that I am considering sending to NCS, but I'm not sure if there is anything they can do for it.

The coin is an 1812 Capped Bust Half. The reverse is rotated about 90 degrees clockwise. The obverse shows a lot of wear, and there is an ugly gouge in Liberty's neck. The reverse has better detail. The edge lettering is also off; some of the letters, and even words, overlap.

I have a photo of the coin on the web page link below. (I do not know how to put an image into the post.) The photo is fairly small, even though I uploaded a larger version, and it was scanned in the holder to help show the amount of rotation on the reverse.

I doubt that NGC will grade the coin due to the gouge on the obverse, plus it appears that the coin has been cleaned at some point in its history. In spite of that, would it be worthwhile to get it slabbed as authentic? How much, if any, does the rotated reverse and misaligned edge lettering add to the value of such an old coin?

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions anyone may have.

My Coins