• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That's not a medal..........this is a medal

12 posts in this topic

............or at least a manhole cover:Funny;

Cool medal, have no idea but its signed Bargas. I think its a French medal perhaps for the Columbian Expo??

Don't really care, just a cool piece and check out the relief on this thing!!

Pushed out from the back.

If anyone can tell me some info on it it would be great.

Stefanie

columbusmedal001.jpg

columbusmedal035.jpg

columbusmedal027.jpg

columbusmedal014.jpg

columbusmedal015.jpg

columbusmedal012.jpg

columbusmedal026.jpg

columbusmedal023.jpg

Stef, I found three listings for the name, Bargas. Armand and Paul were father and son, and the third is Edmond. They all produced potrait medals and plaquettes, but there is no specific mention of one for Columbus.

Chris

Stef, I found three listings for the name, Bargas. Armand and Paul were father and son, and the third is Edmond. They all produced potrait medals and plaquettes, but there is no specific mention of one for Columbus.

Chris

Now that's very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to look it up :grin:

I wonder if this is from the Columbian Expo???

Stefanie

Dang it, Stef! That is one incredibly awesome medal! I'm sure you know that Columbian Expo medals were made all over the world in 1892. This is fully reminiscent of those medals.

Chris

Now that's very interesting! Thanks for taking the time to look it up :grin:

I wonder if this is from the Columbian Expo???

Stefanie

Actually, I think that another sculptor created this piece, and Bargas was credited for the portrait of Columbus. Note how all of the other design elements are incused, and only the bust and Bargas' name are raised.

Also, I don't think this piece actually dates back to 1892. The hanger on the back is attached with brads, and it may have been attached when the piece was cast. The hanger assembly appears to be brass, and it is too bright and shiny for something that should be 116 years old. It is possible that this piece was produced about 1992 which was the 500th Anniversary of the discovery of the Americas and the 100th Anniversary of the Exposition.

Chris