• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for avid Kennedy half-dollar collectors, re: matte "prooflike" coins

11 posts in this topic

I have just cataloged a complete BU set of Kennedy half-dollars, and noted that the 2005-P and 2006-P halves have a distinct, very "matte" appearance that makes them look just like a matte proof. Previous "P" mint years, and the "D" mint years are simply fully brilliant and lack this quality.

Has anyone else noted this phenomenon? I'm not kidding, I thought at first glance that someone had erroneously plugged in matte proofs. That's how close they look.

I am by no means any type of Kennedy pro, but I have seen what they "call" 1998 Matte Proof Kennedy's. Never heard of or seen one from 2005 or 2006.

Rey

James, I believe that's the way they come now from mint packaging. Special process and it's called Satin Finish or as you see on slabs now as SF. I do believe that they started in 05 and have continued since. If they aren't satiny looking then they are circulation strikes. If they look like Matte finish coins, then they came from Mint Sets.

James, the 2005-P Kennedy in my set is more matte finished than the 2005-D coin. Both however, came from mint sets and are SMS, matte finished coins. The SMS finish wears off relatively fast and the Denver dies may have had a secondary polishing or something that removed most of the SMS matte finish. You are not wrong, the two coins may be different, depending on when they were struck.

As the others have said, you are almost certainly looking at coins that were hand selected from Mint Sets after they started the "Satin Finish" on the sets in 2005.

Thanks all, very much. You are undoubtedly correct!

A follow-up question would be: collect both the satin and brilliant finishes?

Which is a question that has been asked many, many times since 2005.

The answer is always, collect what you like.

For me, I have not included business strikes in my Kennedy Dansco Album since 2005 but I know I'll regret it later.

As others have said, these coins are undoubably SMS, satin finish coins. And I say ignor the satin finish and collect the business strikes! :juggle:

Unless of course you happen upon what I refer to as "Super Satin" finishes...these are extreemly high grade Kennedy's with some of the crispest details I have ever seen on this series.

Beautiful coins...they actually look like they have a powdered diamond dust surfaces.