• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Be At The World's Fair of Money Virtually

5 posts in this topic

Since I will be going to the opening of the World's Fair of Money on Wednesday, I am going to use modern technology to bring those who cannot be there with me.

The modern technologies I will use are my new iPhone 3G and a service called Twitter. Twitter is an online short message service that fits many environment. Twitter takes a maximum of 160 characters for messages (called Tweets) and posts them to anyone who wants to read them. You can either read them from the "common timeline" (where all messages go) or follow people and just read their Tweets.

Twitter is free and can be found at twitter.com. You can use the web interface or another program (listed on the site) to read and post Tweets. I will be using a program called Twitterific on my iPhone. If you want to read my Tweets from Baltimore, you can either follow me on Twitter... my Twitter ID is coinsblog. Or you can visit my blog and read the last five Tweets on the left side of the page. If you follow me via my blog, you will have to refresh the page to see any updates.

Of course this is contingent on my being able to find a wireless connection in the Baltimore Convention Center. If I cannot get a signal on the floor, I will have other opportunities to provide feedback. The host club table will be just outside the bourse area. Since I am the president of one of the host clubs, I will probably be at that table a few times. Besides... I am coming off arthroscopic knee surgery, I'll need a place to sit and rest after a while!

I love the idea. So if you cannot be at Baltimore, watch my updates on Twitter. It should be fun!!

Scott :hi:

In addition to Twitter, I signed up for a Photobucket account and will use that wonderful iPhone 3G to upload pictures. As long as I can get a wireless signal in the Baltimore Convention Center, I will upload images I take with the built-in 2 megapixel camera to my Photobucket account.

Right now, if you go to http://photobucket.com/coinsblog, you will find two test pictures I uploaded. On Wednesday, I will try to upload pictures from the show. Those using RSS readers can point to this feed.

Your soon to be intrepid reporter from the bourse floor of the World's Fair of Money...

Scott :hi:

I'm driving up on Saturday ( from Calvert County it's about 45 minutes away)...anyone wanna meet up around noon for a crab cake in the main lobby/cafe to talk coins or show off our purchases let me know via PM or this thread....

I'm thinking of checking out some of the Collectors Exhibits, maybe hitting a workshop or two, meeting David Lange and having him sign my Mercury dime book...and of course looking for some obscure sailing ship coins at the world tables..

also on my list--pick up some more mylars and some lock-tites in dime size and fill at least one Dansco 7070 hole of seated coinage...should be a busy day..