• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

was wondering if any one has come across grease filled strike1970-D Half Dollar

2 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any one has come across a strikethrough on the reverse of the 1970-D half dollar?

I recently purchased a smalldate pack and in the pack was a half dollar looking like someone took a grinder to the die. However there are no wear marks(grinding)

Just rounded metal, I am not up on error variety so I am at a loss Is it worth keeping or should I return the set? The (damage) for the lack of a better term, is on the shield, the tail, and the right (Facing foot, and leg. And the right (Facing) wing.The head is affected, and the word UNUM is slightly flat, does not appear to be smashed.

I was told by the seller that it was die wear. But unless someone polished it in just those areas, I fail to see wear. I see the scratches on the planchet, and the rounded metal. all traces of detail are not there.I am wondering if it was Grease. any one having seen this before please advise. I would appreciate it, Thank you Kelly