• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever searched for one thing, and..................

8 posts in this topic

..........quite by surprise, you found something else that you didn't even know existed?

I'm sure all of you have received those e-mails from eBay reminding you of "watched" items, and they usually include a list of "similar" items. About three weeks ago there was one in particular that I received. I noted the current bids on the "watched" item and then scrolled down to see what other goodies might be listed. I opened the listing on a medal, but decided after closer inspection that it wasn't worthwhile. Out of curiosity, though, I opened the list of the sellers other items, and there it was. I put it on my "watch" list, and when the auction ended with no bids, I sent an offer to the seller for his opening bid. He accepted, and I just received it today from France!

I'm sure most of you have already seen my 1864 50th Anniversary Medal of the reunion of the Geneva Canton with the Swiss Confederation. It's a beautiful copper medal in a rich chocolate brown patina. It almost reminds you of a Hershey's bar except that all of the high points of the devices are beautifully toned an irridescent blue on both sides. It's gorgeous!

Today, I now have her sister, but I never knew that it was also struck in bronze. When I saw the copper specimen at FUN a couple of years ago, I paid $160 for it. The bronze specimen that I got today cost me..................

$23.00 including shipping!

It needs some conservation and there is a small hit on the reverse rim near 6 o'clock, but I love it, too!

Chris

62899.jpg.b83f64353bbe13740de28fd0323535ac.jpg

62900.jpg.324ee3d2e09ad4a5cb9753a3333b1929.jpg

62902.jpg.c1330b2ef3f958cf21f67163391d1acc.jpg

62918.jpg.4f30a9810e8686de7ea38d670dce5763.jpg

all the time.............................

now you have the brother and sister together make sure you keep them in separate boxes though...........................................

Is that what's call serendipity?

Beautiful design! Obviously, the copper is a much better specimen. :cloud9:

Excellent find Chris, I did the same with a Berlin Railway Medal. Always a nice surprise. Very nice looking medals.

Rey

Well, Rey, since nobody is around, why don't we bring up some old threads from a couple years ago? That would give everyone some reading when they get back.

Chris