• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Think i have finally cherrypicked a Eisenhower $

11 posts in this topic

Hi all .. after incessant searching I think i have finally hit a Doubled Die Eisenhower dollar coin from a job lot of coins hear in the UK ..

The coin was a loose 1973-S $ in with a 1971-s and three Peace $'s (1922 / 1922-s & 1923) which i picked up for about scrap !!

well what do you think have i found one !!

my guess is it is a:

1973-s, 40% silver double die obverse FS-S1-1973s-101

as listed in Cherrypickers it seems to have the medium spread on IN GOD WE TRUST and the number 1 in the date. but i am not seeing much on the LIBERTY..

1973u.jpg

1973c.jpg

Cheers for looking and your opinions please dooly :devil:

I can't tell, Dooly. There is too much glare on the letters. I tried putting on sunglasses, but that didn't do any good.

Chris

I have tried to scan it upside down but it has not made it any better :cry:

it is 1am over here so i cannot take any photos until the sun comes up lol

1973.jpg

it is 1am over here so i cannot take any photos until the sun comes up

England sure has some strange laws.

Chris

it is 1am over here so i cannot take any photos until the sun comes up

England sure has some strange laws.

Chris

Nah, it's just that they're so old and primitive they still use candles and can't sufficient light for a photo after dark. hm

Hi all .. after incessant searching I think i have finally hit a Doubled Die Eisenhower dollar coin from a job lot of coins hear in the UK ..

The coin was a loose 1973-S $ in with a 1971-s and three Peace $'s (1922 / 1922-s & 1923) which i picked up for about scrap !!

well what do you think have i found one !!

my guess is it is a:

1973-s, 40% silver double die obverse FS-S1-1973s-101

as listed in Cherrypickers it seems to have the medium spread on IN GOD WE TRUST and the number 1 in the date. but i am not seeing much on the LIBERTY..

1973c.jpg

Cheers for looking and your opinions please dooly :devil:

Well First off dooly, the FS-101 is a proof coin and what you have here is a business strike. It is in my opinion a DDO but which one is difficult to tell. Looking at the motto, it appears to be DDO-002 out of the Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars but I could be wrong as the DDO-001 and DDO-002 are very similar.

Here are some photo's of a DDO 73-S that I picked up:

1973-SDDO-01Wa.jpg

Light Doubling can be seen on the lower left serif of the N

1973-SDDO-02Wa.jpg

This one shows a little bit stronger doubling on the lower left serifs of the T and R

1973-SDDO-03Wa.jpg

This one shows the clearest doubling on the S and the T. Note the clear doubling line on the upper stroke of the S and the crossbar of the T.

As to what premium these hold, I would guess not very much since every time I turn around I'm finding this doubling on a 1973-S Business Strike.

While I'm at it, you might as well know that nearly EVERY 1973-S Business Strike 40% coin is a DDR. This is most prominent on the A and R of DOLLAR!

1973-SDDR-01W.jpg

1973-SDDR-02W.jpg

I have seen this die doubling on a lot of 1973-S silver non-proofs as well. The examples I have seen were actually trippled die obverses. I think its relatively common but very interesting.