• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just for fun: What the heck is going on with this Ike dollar?

14 posts in this topic

Not too serious of a thread (thus the forum pick). Here's an interesting Ike dollar.

What do you think happened to it?

offikex.jpg

Pat, if this is yours, is there reeding on the edge from IGWT clockwise to the "Y" of LIBERTY? If not, it could be that the retaining collar broke and the metal flow continued south. Do you have a photo of the reverse?

Cool!

Chris

My best guess looks like it was struck normally the first time, but wasn't ejected all the way. When the new planchet entered the chamber, it overlapped a bit and was struck over the present coin.

You guys are pretty good!

Here's another (ever so slight) hint:

offikexxx.jpg

We're taking off for the afternoon, but I'll have full slab photos later this evening...

That is one of the best Ike dollar errors I have ever seen. Regardless of what happened that is a neat coin!

My best guess looks like it was struck normally the first time, but wasn't ejected all the way. When the new planchet entered the chamber, it overlapped a bit and was struck over the present coin.
Exactly my thoughts.

As for the second one. It's one of those fakes from the gallery mint. I don't much care for them but they are educational. It appears to be first struck off center then multiple brockage strikes.

This is a two piece brockage set, with a reversed mirror image of the Ike pressed (not struck but squeezed into it from pressure) into a previously struck copper.

They will fit together like a jigsaw puzzle and should be kept together to keep that dramatic effect in perspective.

How that copper got into the coin press is what is interesting.

Excellent insight there WJ. I do believe you are 100% correct on further review. I do believe it is still from the Gallery Mint, they are notorious for doing stuff like that, although I've never seen them do something like that pair before.