• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I received my pack of coins from NGC and the results are...

14 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I am relatively new to collecting older coins. Mostly I have stuck to US Mint products and some currency, usually National banknotes.

But, a couple of months ago, I started hitting the online auction sites, hard, to see what I could find. While I purchased some without much thought on sets/types, I did want to buy some and send them into NGC for my 5 "freebies" for joining this website.

My trial consisted of these with assigned seller/auction grades when I bought them and with only the 1921 Morgan in a TPG holder:

Yellowstone Commemorative-Proof, 1921 Morgan MS65 NNC holder, 1890 CC and 1891 CC with no grades given,(part of a 10 piece morgan lot), and 1895 $10 eagle MS63.

I paid $575 for the gold, paid $100 for each of Carson Morgans, $30 for the Yellowstone, and $75 for the 1921 Morgan (I know, too much for a NNC holder).

Well, here are results:

Yellowstone: PF 68 Ultra Cameo (nice coin)

1921 Morgan MS 64 (I'll take that)

1890 CC: "Improperly cleaned" and placed in what you would call the "BB", (ouch)

1891 CC: VAM-3 Spitting Eagle AU-55 (score!)

1895 $10 Eagle MS63!! (winner!)

I checked the prices for the 91 and 95 and I am very happy. A bit of beginners luck, but that happened on some banknotes, too.

The 91 is now part of my Carson collection.

The 1890 hurts, but considering the investment, it was worth the risk and fun. Also, I am keeping that sucker as live proof of what to look for when buying raw.

Just wanted to share it and thanks again for your help.

I'd say you did quite well submitting for the 1st time. My suggestion ~ buy GSA Carson City Morgans. They are slabbed already. They are at least a ms60. They have not been tampered with. I too got burned REAL bad with cleaned and wizzed Morgans when I decided to start collecting again. It was a hard learning curve = more of a bend! I asked a dealer how can I be sure what I'm buying is uncirculated. He showed me a 1881cc in a GSA case. I've never bought any other slab since. Peace, Tim

62744.jpg.dc417a6cb373f60add26797052fdaefb.jpg

Congratulations from the daft English man .. i know i did a lot worse on my first sub's.. keep up the good work (thumbs u

As some of you know, I am relatively new to collecting older coins. Mostly I have stuck to US Mint products and some currency, usually National banknotes.

But, a couple of months ago, I started hitting the online auction sites, hard, to see what I could find. While I purchased some without much thought on sets/types, I did want to buy some and send them into NGC for my 5 "freebies" for joining this website.

My trial consisted of these with assigned seller/auction grades when I bought them and with only the 1921 Morgan in a TPG holder:

Yellowstone Commemorative-Proof, 1921 Morgan MS65 NNC holder, 1890 CC and 1891 CC with no grades given,(part of a 10 piece morgan lot), and 1895 $10 eagle MS63.

I paid $575 for the gold, paid $100 for each of Carson Morgans, $30 for the Yellowstone, and $75 for the 1921 Morgan (I know, too much for a NNC holder).

Well, here are results:

Yellowstone: PF 68 Ultra Cameo (nice coin)

1921 Morgan MS 64 (I'll take that)

1890 CC: "Improperly cleaned" and placed in what you would call the "BB", (ouch)

1891 CC: VAM-3 Spitting Eagle AU-55 (score!)

1895 $10 Eagle MS63!! (winner!)

I checked the prices for the 91 and 95 and I am very happy. A bit of beginners luck, but that happened on some banknotes, too.

The 91 is now part of my Carson collection.

The 1890 hurts, but considering the investment, it was worth the risk and fun. Also, I am keeping that sucker as live proof of what to look for when buying raw.

Just wanted to share it and thanks again for your help.

Good job. I gave up on the Morgans several months ago. At least the 'raw" ones. I did get some nice ones. A few PLS etc. Toward the last I started getting some bad ones. One dealer on EBAY told me that him and two others with a total of over 50 years grading experience looked at them and they were accurate. I got a lot of hassle when I received a "cleaned" one from him. You need to buy the CC morgans in A GSA holder or already slabbed by PCGS or NGC as well as other Morgans.I don't know what the Price is on a 1890CC but you might want to send it to NCS or ANACS. Even being 'cleaned " there are many people that are probably be looking for that date in CC. Just have to take a loss. If it is a VAM then a 1890CC even cleaned has a little more value.