• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW! Big differences in values!

9 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, everyone.

I don't know if this post will be of interest but I decided that I would like to compare the coin values listed in "COIN VALUES" with Numismedia Wholesale. I know that "Coin Values" is retail value and assume that Numismedia Wholesale is exactly that so I'm comparing apples and oranges. I understand that. What took me by surprise is the dramatic differences in totals between the 2 groupings.

Here's how I did it. For the study, only PCGS or NGC slabbed coins were included. The grades had to match exactly, no comparing a F-12 with a F-15...or a VF 20 with a VF 25...for example. I surveyed 25 coins and did not include gold.

If anyone is interested in the specific coins in my "study", I'll be glad to post them. Here are a few of the more remarkable differences:

1802 cent PCGS VF 30, "Coin Values" $1000, Numismedia $580

1909 VDB cent NGC MS 66 red, $1500..$390 (Hmmmmmmmmm)

1862 cent MS 62 PCGS, $400..$155

1938 d/s 5 cent MS 66 NGC , $1000..$210

1795 hald dollar F-12, NGC $3500..$2150

Total values for the 25 coins were:

"COIN VALUES" $13,875

Numismedia $7924

Numismedia was about 57% of the price of "Coin Values". I don't know what this demonstrates, but it was interesting to me none the less.

RI AL

Numismedia tends to be understated, and Trends tends to be overstated. If you take that into account, then the percentage difference between the two is probably reasonably close to dealer margins on coins.

I agree with James. Numismedia, appears quite interested with input from collectors about thier pricing. I've posted some big discrepancies with their prices on some Bust Halves, and they responded very well, if not enthusiastic about looking into the pricing by re-examining auction prices and dealer inventories.

I've always looked at Coin Values as a dealer want price. Why do you see coins often advertised stating their values? It makes the dealer's coin look like a bargain.

Numismedia makes legitimate attempts to be accurate. I sure wish that they would list cameo proof prices 'cause all of my early cameo proofs have no price listed in my registry type set.

I find the same discrepancies between Numismedia and PCGS on early Jefferson nickels. Numismedia is pricing at about 50%-65% of market value and PCGS is about 20%-100% over market value.

My local dealer sells coins using CoinValues prices. So I believe these prices are higher to help the dealers with selling, so they can turn a profit.

i dont go by my friends coin world anymore cause it is way over priced i think. i take the paper copy of numis in with me also a lap top to pull up other price guides. grey sheet is also far above value i think for dealers.

I can't speak about the other coins but you could buy 3 MS66 1938-D/S nickels for $1,000.00 and have change in return! The retail is around $275.00 regardless if it is the D/D/D/S or just the D/S variety. If you try to sell one to a dealer wholesale is usually the Blue Sheet. The Blue Sheet has the "38-D/S, Pcgs bid is $145.00 and the NGC bid is $135.00.

As far as D/S nickels go neither price guide is in the ballpark!