• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help to identify these Harrison political tokens...please

4 posts in this topic

I think.... that the first one is a HT814 R-4 but there are differences on the obverse and reverse.

Like the buttons and bushes?

The second one looks like HT820 R- ? but the reverse bushes on the right are different.

Thanks,

Stefanie

tokens281.jpg

tokens283.jpg

tokens286.jpg

tokens288.jpg

There is a note in the Rulau book under HT811A which reads, "DeWitt lists eight additional minor varieties of this token as WHH 1840-29 through 1840-36. These are unimportant variations, showing that Gardiner used many dies to create his campaign pieces, changing the placement of straps, buttons, etc."

Also under 815A, "Dies for these pieces were used so long they were retouched, leading to many minor varieties."

This may explain why your tokens do not match the ones in the pictures/descriptions.

BTW, did you notice, on the "1840" reverse, how the flag is blowing one way, but the smoke from the chimney blows another?

I was wondering about the barrel depicted in both reverses, I now know the answer.

In 1840, the Whigs, presented their candidate William Henry Harrison as a simple frontier Indian fighter, living in a log cabin and drinking cider, in sharp contrast to an aristocratic champagne-sipping Van Buren.

Neat tokens, hope you find out a bit more about them.

{quote]In 1840, the Whigs, presented their candidate William Henry Harrison as a simple frontier Indian fighter, living in a log cabin and drinking cider, in sharp contrast to an aristocratic champagne-sipping Van Buren.

An early example of political spin. Actually Harrison was as much of an aristocrat as Van Buren and he had never lived in a log cabin.