• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie with 1864 CC seated dollar and 1877 CC trade dollar

22 posts in this topic

Hi, Chuck! Welcome to the neighborhood!

I'm not the most computer-savvy person around here. When they wrote the series of "Dummies" how-to books, they didn't consider people like me. Anyway, someone with more knowledge should be along shortly.

One other thing. If you haven't already, you should resize your photos so they are anywhere from 450x450 to 900x900. Anything smaller than 450 is too small to see details. Anything over 900 is overkill.

Chris

Is it a fake.............

According to Red Book, seated dollars were struck in Carson City from 1870-1873.

On the one you've shown us, both the date and the mintmark look a little strange to me, but I am no expert.

Chris

There were no 1864 CC One dollar coins minted. If you have a 1864 CC dollar it is a fake. Where did you buy this coin and for how much ??

From the appearance of the denticles on the coin and the rims, I would guess that it is a cast counterfeit that has been treated to resemble wear. I also doubt the coin is 90% silver as well. FYI, there were no dollars struck from the Carson City Mint until 1870.

You may want to purchase a Redbook of Coins and refer to it before buying any additional dollars. It might help to buy a couple of books on Seated Liberty and Morgan dollars before you spend money on more coins.

Oh my! As soon as the images opened, my heart sunk for you Chuck.

The object (I'm not even going to call it a coin) you presented is a very crude depiction of a seated dollar coin.

The "CC" mint mark confirms the suspicion that it is a reproduced outside the US Mint copy of an American coin.

This proto-type may have come from China or the Middle East, where they were and are still being mass produced and sold cheaply on the open market. Some are stamped with the word "COPY" but most are not and can be very deceptive in nature.

There are numerous on-line auction venues that attempt to sell these jewels to ususpecting buyers, or buyers getting them cheaply from the sources and then passing them off as real coins.

Sorry Chuck...we now need to see the CC Trade dollar as well to determine if that is a genuine US Mint coin.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry Chuck...we now need to see the CC Trade dollar as well to determine if that is a genuine US Mint coin.

And given how heavily TDs have been counterfeited of late...one despairs.

You guys ROCK!!! Thanks for the quick and honest report on this coin. Here is the 1877 CC trade dollar. I hope its past holds great rewards.... lol I will touch on the story of how i acquired these particular coins. I inherited them from my grandpa which has a basement of old coins and old paper money. The thing is he willed it to me and nobody else so the family is freakin out and doesnt want to give them up, so ive only recieved a portion of them. My greedy family might make me take them to court over them. Sad . The thing is he is suppose to have a rare silver dollar coin in a safe deposit box that is suppose to be worth millions. Which is clearly stated in the will to go to his grandson "ME". What i know is its dated 1804 and is a silver dollar. I havent seen it but it might be worth gettin an attorney for. Most my family doesnt deserve anything hence the greediness.

Also I have about a 100lbs of indian head pennies all in the tube type containers that i just startin goin through. So I think i have a new hobby and will be around the forum quite a bit now..

Once again Thanks for the quick response and advice

Chuck

62699.jpg.e4e5923006a9408cc706981017b019d2.jpg

62700.jpg.83dd72089383ae97f78c6b8b181948ad.jpg

Weigh it, the weight should be 27.22 grams. It is a good likeness but for a few minor details. However, I think that it is fake, based on some details of Liberty on the obverse and on the eagle on the reverse, but I would like other opinions on this because I only compared it to a picture of an 1877-CC Trade Dollar and am not an expert on this series. You may want to go to www.tradedollarnut.com and compare your coin to his. Also, your scan is crooked which makes it very hard for me to examine the coin closely. Some of the details on your coin do not come up in the scan, mostly because of the toning, which also makes it difficult to assess your coin. However the toning is good and looks like it should for a coin this age.

You decide by comparing it to Tradedollar's coin. You need to learn for yourself anyhow or you are going to make mistakes and maybe get taken because of it. Get some books, read and do some research online. Also, if your grandfather had an 1804 dollar, it would be a miracle. I should have said, that no new 1804 dollars which are not accounted for have appeared in many, many years. It is unlikely that there are more specimens out there.

By the way, look at the replica coin in Ebay sale #180269533413. This replica looks exactly like your coin, complete with extra pleats in Liberty's dress and unstruck details on the eagle's left foot. I am certain that your coin is the same as this Ebay replica. You may wish to tell your family that they're fighting about some high dollar coins which are actually fakes.

The color of the TD looks wrong. OT's advice is right: weigh it. I'm guessing it's counterfeit as well.

I don't know that all the 1804 silver dollars have been accounted for, but there are less than two dozen known and they're all worth the kind of money that would cause you to hire Blackwater to move one, complete with ex-SF/Delta/SEAL guards with orders to shoot. Given that these first two look questionable, and that the 1804 silver dollar is a very frequently counterfeited coin, a skeptical approach is merited. And were the coin authentic, taking your description of your family at face value, our precious legal system will do its very best to ensure that much of its value goes to pay your lawyers to defend it for you.

I really doubt your grandfather has an 1804 Silver Dollar. He probably got it from the same place he picked up these fake coins.

possible.jpg

These missing wing feathers is NOT a very good sign, perhaps we can coax TDN out of the shadows to comment on this Trade Dollar.

It is a counterfeit because the Carson City mint did not open until 1870. Even if the CC mint had been open in 1864, their coins would not have looked like this. The date numbers are nothing like a regular U.S. coin. This thing sadly is one of those Chinese rip-offs that are making the rounds these days.

SORRY! :(