• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion wanted

10 posts in this topic

I recently bought a 1963 Lincoln proof, graded by NGC at PF68 Ultra Cam. the slab is very badly scratched all over. but the coin looks flawless.

Would you have it reholdered or would you crack it and resubmit for a shot at a 69?

Is it an old holder? Does the value increase exponentially if it goes from 68 to 69....and finally....have you looked the coin over throughly and do you think it has the potential to upgrade?

I would think it would be highly unlikely that it would upgrade but since you have it in hand....you should be able to make the call before spending the money to resubmit (thumbs u

If you are unhappy with the appearance of the holder, I'd suggest getting the coin re-holdered. Whether or not to try it for an upgrade should really be a separate consideration.

If there is any significant downside in receiving a lower grade and/or in losing the current designation in the event that you crack the coin it out and resubmit it, I'd suggest not doing that. Also, keep in mind that there might be flaws/imperfections (such as minute hairlines) on the coin, which can't be seen as well through the holder as when the coin is outside of it.

Have you tried to clean the slab? Try some Plast-X Mequires? I think that's how it's spelled. You can get it from any auto parts shop. Patience required!

Jason,

Please realize that if the holder is as badly scratched as you say, it may be truly impossible to be sure the coin has even a chance of upgrading and to go from pre- scratched memory is risky business at best. Why not have a professional look at it to help you make the call. Maybe you have a local coin dealer/collector who's opinion you value, if so, allow he/she to view the coin first. Then go from there. JMO

Regardless, best of luck.

Jim

I've had coins simply re-holdered because the holder was scratched. I did not have the coin re-graded. Time was I could get this done at major shows like FUN, but I don't know if PCGS or NGC will do that now.

The 1794 half dime that is in my set came in a green lable PCGS AU-50 holder. There was a scratch on the back of the holder that drove me nuts. :pullhair: That's why I had the coin re-holdered.

When I had it done the greem lable didn't mean anything. Now it would becasue I think the coin could up grade to AU-55. Whatever, it's done, an I've been able to enjoy the coin without the ugly scrach.

BTW, are you sure the coin is that nice? I once got stuck on a coin in a scratched PCGS holder. The holder had been roughed up to hide the fact that the coin, which was graded VF-30, had been polished. :o

I've had coins simply re-holdered because the holder was scratched. I did not have the coin re-graded. Time was I could get this done at major shows like FUN, but I don't know if PCGS or NGC will do that now.

The 1794 half dime that is in my set came in a green lable PCGS AU-58 holder. There was a scratch on the back of the holder that drove me nuts. :pullhair: That's why I had the coin re-holdered.

When I had it done the greem lable didn't mean anything. Now it would becasue I think the coin could up grade to AU-55. Whatever, it's done, an I've been able to enjoy the coin without the ugly scrach.

BTW, are you sure the coin is that nice? I once got stuck on a coin in a scratched PCGS holder. The holder had been roughed up to hide the fact that the coin, which was graded VF-30, had been polished. :o

Bill, you mentioned both that he half dime was in an AU 58 holder and that that now you think it could up-grade to an AU55 - there must be a typo or error in there, somewhere.

Bill, you mentioned both that he half dime was in an AU 58 holder and that that now you think it could up-grade to an AU55 - there must be a typo or error in there, somewhere.

mark, i thought i was the only one that saw that! i figured i was just having a senior moment. (shrug)

The 1794 half dime that is in my set came in a green lable PCGS AU-58 holder. There was a scratch on the back of the holder that drove me nuts. :pullhair: That's why I had the coin re-holdered.

I'm sorry the AU-58 was a typo. The coin is in an AU-50 holder. The coin looks like a 55 to me. Here it is.

1794HalfDimeO-1.jpg1794HalfDimeR-1.jpg