• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does clad mean to you?

Clad  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Clad

15 posts in this topic

It is clearly ambiguous!

I most often see the word clad used in reference to modern proof coins, to distinguish them from "silver proof" coins. From 1992 forward, the mint made 90% silver Kennedy proofs. I most often see "clad" Kennedy as a way to distinguish between silver proofs (90%) from 1992 forward from non-silver proofs from the same period. In the perriod 1999-2008, it would be the difference between the red boxes (silver proof) and blue box proofs (clad proofs). In the 1990's, it is the difference between the clad proof sets (green boxes) and the silver proof sets (black boxes, premier boxes, or prestige boxes).

Clad = hamburger coins – copper-nickel bun haves with a pure copper piece of meat.

Silver Clad = Sirloin burger. 80% silver bun haves with a debased piece of silver in the middle loaded with fat (copper).

Wow 3 voted for neither. If you voted for neither please explain.

It doesn't exclusively mean either one. It could just as easily be both. It merely means that they are clad coins.

It means that whether intentionally or accidentally, the seller is being ambiguous and potential bidders should ask precisely what is being offered for sale. ;)

To avoid confusion and be as brief as possible the term clad should be reserved for cu/ ni clad copper and the 40% coins referred to as silver clad. I believe this will work for all foreign coins as well.

I have to disagree with BillJones that clad is like hamburger. They are sandwich coins but, hey, where's the beef?

...And what's with the silver clad having the beef on the outside? ;)

I voted neither. If someone told me they had some clad half dollars, the first thing I would ask is whether they are copper nickel clad or silver clad. To me, it's a bit too general of a description. It might work on quarters and dimes, but I think it should be specified as to which clad it is. And don't forget, there's also manganese brass clad. :)