• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1824 50C over Various

15 posts in this topic

Souders calls this one of the strangest overdates in all of numismatics, ranks it 8th in the mintages of Bust Half overdates, and estimates 900-1000 extant.

62576.jpg.c41d38f005aa467ba3eb0f22373f932f.jpg

62577.jpg.6fd8680ce789d1e9c82bb83e576348ac.jpg

62578.jpg.faa2efad772c1e0ab6d3a3e735cc7a22.jpg

62579.jpg.5dd04aa91396f236f660d0b482493b71.jpg

62580.jpg.106274d480afd36411217d3445128001.jpg

According to Edgar Souders, this overdate is properly described as 1824/2/0. I have no problem agreeing with him, as is usually the case.

Mike,

Irregardless of the overstrike, that is as beautifully struck a CBH as one will find. I absolutely love her hair and the full struck reverse. An amazing find. Congrats on this coin, one of the better ones I have had the pleasure to view.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Mike,

Irregardless of the overstrike, that is as beautifully struck a CBH as one will find. I absolutely love her hair and the full struck reverse. An amazing find. Congrats on this coin, one of the better ones I have had the pleasure to view.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Ditto for me, very nice.

Rey

So, what dates do you see? I see a 0 behind the 4, as well as a 2 and very possibly a 3. I wouldn't doubt that there would be a 1 in there too, but the 4 is covering it very well.

Here is one in Fine 15 to go along with Mike's great coin! The story behind this one is killer!

24od.jpg

gorgeously toned Bustie, Bruce. Now tell us the story!!! :gossip:

Here is the story. 2004 Summer if I remember correct. Anyhow year could have been 2005. Whatever....My aunt who works at a bank, a higher up there who deals with many accounts. Well she gives me a call and says a lady brought her some coins and she needed help. So I pulled out my bluebook to tell her what most dealers would pay for common stuff. Well she then says she has 3 older halfs. She gives me the dates. I ask her to try to describe the condition to me. I expected the worse as most of the other stuff was moderns and common stuff. Without knowing anything really I told her a price for all 3, and then she says "Would you like them for that price?" All 3 were raw and totally original! Talk about WOW! It was not till I went to see her a month later I got the coins and was floored by what they were. Well I did not take a super hard look at them as I was on vacation and the deal was done with her client. Her client was a lady left with the coins. Anyhow when I returned home I then noticed it was the jumbled date! My excitement was cool to score one. I quickly sent it off to ANACS soo I could get the overton number with the coin. Not as if it really needs it. On one hand I feel bad I picked this coin up dirt cheap. On the other hand I am glad to own it!

Very attractive looking coin, Mike, and an extra cool overdate! :applause:

Congrats on your pickup too, Bruce! :applause: