• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC sticker

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering, how difficult is it for a coin to get CAC sticker approved? (Green sticker) I know the gold stickers are rare, but I'm talking about the regular green stickers.

Is it fairly common? Rare? Like, can someone tell me if you were to submit 100 coins, how many would get the green sticker?

I have one CAC stickered coin and was wondering just how rare the CAC sticker was. I know sometimes to certain dealers the CAC stickers have a premium. But really, how much of a premium does the green sticker have?

Thanks

I was wondering, how difficult is it for a coin to get CAC sticker approved? (Green sticker) I know the gold stickers are rare, but I'm talking about the regular green stickers.

Is it fairly common? Rare? Like, can someone tell me if you were to submit 100 coins, how many would get the green sticker?

I have one CAC stickered coin and was wondering just how rare the CAC sticker was. I know sometimes to certain dealers the CAC stickers have a premium. But really, how much of a premium does the green sticker have?

Thanks

I would not base a purchase or purchase level on the lack or presence of a green sticker (or any other kind of sticker). So speaking for myself, the sticker garners no premium at all.

Only the CAC would be able to answer your statistical question.

Thanks

Kevin, I'm partly guessing and generalizing in this reply, based on comments I have read from and about CAC, as well as coins I have submitted to CAC and/or seen with CAC stickers....

Certain coins/types are probably more likely to receive CAC stickers than others. For example, my expectation would be that classic silver commemoratives in grades MS65-66 will have a higher acceptance rate than MS65 and MS66 Saints, because I think the latter group has been subject to greater gradeinflation or over-grading over the years. And coins with a lower CAC approval rate are likely to carry larger premiums than those with a considerably higher approval rate.

Also, CAC has stated that coins submitted from collectors thus far have had a high success rate, and one inference is that dealer submissions have had a lower success rate. That makes sense, as (some) collectors own more nice-for-the-grade coins than dealers do. And the collectors might also be more selective about which coins they submit to CAC.

On the small number of coins I already owned before they received CAC stickers, I have offered them for sale at the same price after they received CAC approval, as was the case with the Classic Quarter Eagle you bought from me recently. And the coins I have bought which already had CAC stickers, I believe I paid prices similar to what I would have had to pay for (nice coins like them) without the CAC stickers. However, some dealers appear to be asking premiums of 10% or more for their CAC stickered coins in many, if not most cases.

I believe that many coins (and in particular NGC coins) will be easier to sell with CAC stickers, whether or not they sell for higher prices than they would have without the sticker.

The bottom line is that the answers depend on the coins themselves, as well as who is offering them for sale and who is buying them. A seller can ask as much of a premium as he wants, but if the buyers won't pay it, there's no sale. ;)

I believe fewer certified gold coins receive the CAC decal than silver and to a lesser extent, copper.

More overgraded gold out there I suppose.

I have been generally disappointed with the quality of early copper coins that I have seen in PCGS and NGC holders. Therefore it does not surprise me that few copper coins have gotten CAC stickers. The population of nice pieces is pretty low, and it follows that the CAC population would be low also.