• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colonial coins - planchet quality

7 posts in this topic

For those of you who collect colonials, do you find that many were struck with porous planchets? I won this one in a Heritage auction:

1788 New Jersey, VF30

The coin has a nice look to it in person, but there is some porosity. The 17 in the date is hardly visible because of pitting that (I think) is as struck. From what I have seen, many early coppers have some problems. Would you give me your evaluation of the coin?

Thanks,

Dan

POROUS PLANCHETS AND ALSO DAMAGED AND PROBLEMS PLANCHETS ALL MINT MADE ARE MORE THE RULE in pre 1792 american states coinage

but if you really look you can find some above average examples of so called common varities of copper colonial coins with above average surfaces little to no problems and great eye appeal these are the value opportunity coins to buy

and start a colonial type set with

and eventually you can get the ultimate colonial coin a silver pine tree shilling

.925 struck at the massachusetts state mint in boston

sexy and historical :cloud9:

I can accept the fact that the planchets from some colonial issues such as Vermont (the norm), New Jersey (less so), and Connecticut (less so) come with some marks and uneven surfaces that were there before the coins were struck. I’m a whole lot less convinced that the planchets had black or green corrosion and porosity BEFORE the coins were stuck. The metal was melted down and then rolled or pounded into the proper thickness. Unless the planchets then sat around for a while in a humid climate before they were struck into coins, the planchets should have not been corroded before the coins were struck. Therefore I’m far from convinced that this New Jersey planchet was black and porous before the coin was struck.

If the coin was over stuck from another coin, you might make a better case. Still those coins were struck from contemporary coins and the chances for corrosion would normaly have been lower.

Sorry, I think the excuse, "struck on a corroded or porous planchet" is used too often. (shrug)

I have to say that the appreciation of ugly, humble old coppers is vastly underrated. I realize that for financial reasons, many (probably most) folks shy away from ugly Colonials. But personally, I love really humble (and cheap) Connecticuts and New Jerseys.

I have to say that the appreciation of ugly, humble old coppers is vastly underrated. I realize that for financial reasons, many (probably most) folks shy away from ugly Colonials. But personally, I love really humble (and cheap) Connecticuts and New Jerseys.

The key word is "cheap." I'm not totally against problem copper provided that the price has been adjusted for that fact. I bought some problem copper back in the days when I was collecting half cents by die variety because that all I could get for some varieties.

I'm not sure the coin that started this string was "cheap." It's in a PCGS VF-30 holder, which to me says, "Nice, attractive, no significant problem circulated coin." It does not say, "black corrosion and porous."

AND I'm not a happy camper when a coin like this makes into a slab and decent early half cents like these pieces end up in a body bags. :mad:

1797HalfCentO.jpg1797HalfCentRJPG.jpg

1800HalfCentO-1.jpg1800HalfCentR-1.jpg

boy, michael, you really raised this one from the dead...

great post

amazing it didn't get any responses in 2002

Well congrats on that one! (thumbs u

As a follow up when PCGS first got into the business of slabbing pre-federal coins, whoever was doing the grading didn't know their elbow from their ars*. It much of been the guy who graded Morgan dollars, and who called on "colonial" coins "ugly." There was so much over graded real old junk in PCGS holders it was not funny.

They have tightened up since then.