• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you consider "early" US gold?

14 posts in this topic

I've always wanted to own a piece of early american history, pre-civil war era gold. And now I have, with my 1834 quarter eagle. It is a classic head.

My question to you is, what series do you consider "early" gold, and where do you draw the line?

Kevin that is a question that can be interpreted in many ways. Are you referring to US Gold or Gold in general. The history of gold goes back many many years.

Rey

I misspoke, I guess that early gold, according to NGC, is actually gold coins minted before the Classic Head series starting in 1834. I have always thought of it as being before the Coronet series started in 1839.

Kevin that is a question that can be interpreted in many ways. Are you referring to US Gold or Gold in general. The history of gold goes back many many years.

Rey

Ah, sorry rey. I mean't US.

Feh, I wish I could create more exciting threads.

in the usa numismatic collectible gold community the term early gold

is any usa gold coins that were minted prior to classic head gold coins

or another way to look at it is the early gold coins are the ones minted prior

to the gold coin weight reduction act of 1834

Since the Classic Head gold is considered part of the transitional years at the mint, I peg it as mid-dated gold and the Liberty as late-dated which leaves the scarce, high-dollared, pre 1834 gold labeled as "early gold". I bought an 1811 $5 piece just to have one piece of "early gold". I doubt that I'll ever be able to go farther back than that, though.

Early U.S. gold coins are the one that are out of my reach. For me 2008 is early gold!lol As everyone says 1834 and earlier!

Just as a general guideline, I consider U.S. "early-anything" to be those coins struck without a collar, which is generally circa 1836 and before.
^^