• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cherrypickers' Guides

10 posts in this topic

After flipping through the most recent one, The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties, I noticed it only covered half dimes through dollars. But I also learned that there were past editions floating around if one looked hard enough, such as this one and even this older version. I found a copy of the latter off Abebooks that wasn't too expensive, read through it, thought it was great--but wished it was a lot thicker.

I'd gladly buy the modern incarnation I saw, but it only covers part of US coinage, as mentioned. I can't find a companion in print that covers half cents through nickels (assuming that's what's considered just below half dimes). Is there such an animal out there? Or is there a better guide, with photos, covering all major die varieties and mishaps known?

Half dimes through dollars is volume 2 of the 4th edition.

You just need volume 1 of the current (4th) edition. It's several years old, but should still be available.

The 5th Edition of the CPG is scheduled to be released sometime this summer. According to JT, there are supposed to be quite a few additions to the newest release. I'd wait until it is available from Whitman.

Chris

Half dimes through dollars is volume 2 of the 4th edition.

You just need volume 1 of the current (4th) edition. It's several years old, but should still be available.

That makes sense. The half dimes through whatever volume makes complete sense as a volume 2 if there's a volume 1. Strange, though, that Amazon doesn't even list it. Usually a book has to be pretty old not to have an Amazon listing.

Does anyone have an ISBN for volume 1 of the 4th edition? I checked Whitman's site and didn't see them saying anything about a new version, so no good way for me to determine when it'll hit print.

You will probably have to wait on the 5th Edition because 4th Edition Vol I is OOP and is truly hard to find(if at all). Good luck.

Jim

I answered this same question on another forum a few weeks ago. If you do some searching around on line there at least two websites that claim to still have copies of vol I available, but they aren't all that easy to find. If you really want me too I can try to find that information again.

I just recently sold my only copy for about $80.

Good gods. I should have sent Jason a decent type coin along with my check. I owe him a favor big time.