• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver denarius of Brutus......Eids of March

5 posts in this topic

Another "dream coin" I'll never be able to own. About as historically important as the come. Sold for $97,500.00

752619.jpg

BRUTUS. Late Summer-Autumn 42 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.36 gm, 12h). Mint moving with Brutus in northern Greece. L. Plaetorius Cestianus, magistrate. L. PLAET. CEST BRVT IMP, bare head of Brutus right / EID. MAR, pileus between two daggers pointing downward. Crawford 508/3; Cahn 23/21a (obv./rev.; same reverse die); CRI 216; Sydenham 1301; BMCRR East 68; RSC 15. Good VF, minor porosity. Of highest historical importance.

Yowza. I'm just over here from the comic forums slumming, but if I collected coins I would definitely go for ancient ones like this. I know there is a lot of learning necessary, & some $$$, but someday I hope to dip my toe in.

Imagine the historical personages who might have held this very item... utterly fascinating.