• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple of new ideas for collecting

5 posts in this topic

Well I posted this ATS and forgot to post this here:

I think I am going to put together a birthyear set for my parents and then maybe start working on birthyear sets for their parents.

I am currently working on a proof and mint set birth year set for myself and a set that is 100 years before I was born both proof and mint. I was born in 1970 so I am putting together a mint and proof set of 1970 and 1870. Thought why not do the same for my parents and maybe their parents. My dad was born in 1940 and my mom in 1941.

Who has done something like this in the past?

Now for the neat part I found out about tonight:

Wow, just spent the evening talking to my folks about this and they are interested. Then my mom pulls out a bag from her parent's estate and it had rolls of circulated halfs (probably 6-8 rolls) Walking Liberty, Franklin, and Kennedy, probably 10 or more rolls of dimes, one roll of quarters, two rolls of wheaties and then various baggies of other coins. I am going to try to build birth year sets from these coins and put them in capital plastics. For the grandkid's (my nephews and nieces) they want to try and do the 100-birthyear sets.

This is going to be fun going through all those coins and cataloging them for her and then building sets from them. She also had two Canadian dollars from 1966. One looked like a proof but not sure.

am currently working on a proof and mint set birth year set for myself and a set that is 100 years before I was born both proof and mint. I was born in 1970 so I am putting together a mint and proof set of 1970 and 1870. Thought why not do the same for my parents and maybe their parents. My dad was born in 1940 and my mom in 1941.

Yes! As a matter of fact, there are quite a lot of folks who have done or are doing the same thing. I think it's a great idea!

Re: the 1966 Canadian Dollars

Approximately five hundred 1966 Dollar coins were minted with an obsolete obverse die

resulting in a Small Bead variety worth a good bit of money!

The RCM didn't start striking proof silver dollars until 1981, so you probably have a "prooflike" (i.e. mint set coin) or circulation strike. The RCM uses chrome-plated dies, so even circulation strikes have mirrored fields.

I hope to start cataloging some of the coins tonight and get them in proper storage containers and take some photo's.