• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A really nice 1829/7 50C Overdate

12 posts in this topic

I posted this ATS as well.

This is the 1829/7 50C Overdate, Overton 101 (R1)

For some reason, this coin, which has an estimated mintage (according to Souders) of 390,753, and that ranks only 12th in the line of scarcity for Bust Half overdates, seemed to evade me. Or maybe I evaded it. When I decided that I 'needed' one, my hunt only turned up washed out dead-beat coins or over-priced lower grade coins (grade is not the issue with me, but some of these guys price these coins way way over what I feel is appropriate for the coin). Now, of course, a really, really, really, really, nice coin deserves a healthy premium. Lord knows, I've paid them. But what else can you do...wait around for a lesser coin? So I was happy to find this one, so truly 'organic', rich (I prefer to see it as rich as opposed to dark) toning, with lovely golden brown and metallic blue iridescence peripherally.

The overdate isn't bad either. It's an obvious overdate (to me, at least), you don't have to go hunting for it with your glass. There is only one obverse die and two reverse dies used for this overdate, providing for two differnt varieties, the Overton 101 (R1), and 102 (R2). Since they both have the same obverse, the Overton 101 can be distinguished by a small tine off the top of the shield, the the Overton 102, by it's irregularly flagged 5. It is a Sub-Design Type 5 1825-1831. The curl 2 is punched over a square 2, and the 9, is punched and recut over a 7. Wow!

2683049672_bf76121cbd.jpg

2682232501_c6a7335fdf.jpg

2681572844_ab9baff62e.jpg

2681573826_bd7473090e.jpg

That can't be any less than AU-53, surely, and probably higher. I see why you were drawn to it.

The problem is that so many of these were struck from late dies that the overdate is difficult to see. Indeed, you can still cherry pick these at many shows. I've probably cherried at least a handful over the past ten years. In my experience, they are not tough to find, albeit one's personal preferences always come into play with regard to visual appeal. Your coin is a nice, earlier die state, but that's rather unusual.

This overdate is almost always softly struck on the end of the bust line, the cheek, and cap. In fact, that's a red flag that you've got the 1829/1827, without even seeing the date. I just sent one in and, after 7 weeks in their custody, NGC completely missed the overdate (even though it was on the invoice) and ended up lowballing the grade because they didn't consider the characteristic weakness of strike.

When grading this issue, you have to factor in those weak spots.

1829o50.jpg

1829r50.jpg

This overdate is almost always softly struck on the end of the bust line, the cheek, and cap. In fact, that's a red flag that you've got the 1829/1827, without even seeing the date. I just sent one in and, after 7 weeks in their custody, NGC completely missed the overdate (even though it was on the invoice) and ended up lowballing the grade because they didn't consider the characteristic weakness of strike.

When grading this issue, you have to factor in those weak spots.

NGC has been a little off on grading more weakly struck Busties lately, and i have seen them missing attributions as well. I wonder sometimes if they attribute them after they get graded, by completely different people, all rushing to get as much done as possible. In a way, I like it that way. Confusion adds to cherry picking opportunities, and/or snagging undergraded coins. When I send coins in to them for attribution, I put a sticker on the holder with the Overton #.

Nice coin, BTW.

Thanks, it is a great coin!

When I send them in, they receive their variety attribution at the "scheduled for grading" level, which of course is before grading takes place. That's great if your the buyer and want to find deals, but if I want my coins graded properly and all factors taken into consideration, I'm screwed. This variety doesn't even require a Variety Plus fee and they still missed it! And of course, not considering the typical weakness of the variety, the coin came back as a VF30 instead of an XF40+.

Not a perfect comparison because yours is a 102, but still very very similar. Also, I believe Physics-fan's coin, shown above mine, was a PCGS 40 or 45 from JJteaparty.