• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This 1877 Indian head cent seems significantly overgraded in a "PCGS" slab....

13 posts in this topic

It's a popular high priced key date in circulated grade in a slab. It looks to be the typical 1 to 1.5 grade overgrade. If it was an 1878 they would probably have graded it G-6, maybe VG-8.

Just looking at it, the coin appears to have a little of an off-center weak strike on the obverse in the 12 o'clock area. They may have taken that into account. It does give the coin the appearance of a lot more wear than it has....

My 2c

MM

The cert. number checks out. I think that this is simply the upgrading of one full grade for a volume dealer with a key date.

I agree... this is the last date I need to complete my IHC date/mm set and I've been looking at them alot over the last year and a half. I believe this piece to be authentic with a weakly struck obverse. VG10 is a bit liberal given the strike and the reverse wear ....but I've seen worse.

Third party grading for 1877 Indian cents is usually very liberal for the circulated grades. When it comes to Proof and Mint State coins, they are far more accurate. This really stinks because it really does provide dealers with opportunities to stick it to smaller collectors who can’t afford the Mint State and Proof coins. I have seen a few circulated 1877 Indian cents in slabs that were accurately graded, but those pieces were a decided exception.

1877 Indians are only one example of consistent over grading. The services single handedly lowered the standards for 1916-D Mercury dimes by one full grade, at least. In the old days the fasces lines on the ax had to be complete for a coin in Fine. It still even says that in the Red Book grading descriptions. The lines can be worn and weak, but they should be complete. Today one would have to buy a coin in at VF-30 or better to get amount of detail. (shrug)