• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a shame!

24 posts in this topic

The owner of the local pawn shop here found out that I collected coins and asked if I could sell his inventory for him. I said sure, just don't clean them.

Apparently the guy working at the pawn shop didn't quite understand the concept and cleaned over 50 teen-dated Lincoln cents with brasso. I called him and said don't clean anymore. He was truly puzzled. But, how can I read the date otherwise he retorted. Everybody who buys or sales coins cleans them he says.

doh!

Question? What's the best way to sell them now? Sale by the roll with a caveat?

62354.jpg.ef0a39a8ade4ac9882591ba4c97111c2.jpg

Brasso? eww.... I used that to polish a piece of rough-cast brass that I had to file, smooth, and polish for an Honor Society. I wouldn't want that anywhere near a coin. If you don't get all of it cleaned off the metal it can turn the surface red, blue, and green.

[font:Comic Sans MS] A man is dining in a fancy restaurant and there is a gorgeous redhead sitting at the next table. He has been checking her out since he sat down, but lacks the nerve to talk with her.

Suddenly she sneezes, and her glass eye comes flying out of its socket toward the man. He reflexively reaches out, grabs it out of the air, and hands it back! 'Oh my, I am so sorry,' the woman says as she pops her eye back in place.

'Let me buy your dinner to make it up to you,' she says.

They enjoy a wonderful dinner together, and afterwards they go to the theatre followed by drinks. They talk, they laugh, she shares her deepest dreams and he shares his. She listens.

After paying for everything, she asks him if he would like to come to her place for a nightcap and stay for breakfast. They had a wonderful, wonderful time.

The next morning, she cooks a gourmet meal with all the trimmings. The guy is amazed. Everything had been SO incredible!

'You know,' he said, 'you are the perfect woman.. Are you this nice to every guy you meet?'

'No,' she replies. . .

[/font]

She says:

'You just happened to catch my eye.'

lollollol

lollollol

lollollol

This is how I got one of my names from my Dad after cleaning over a half roll of Wheaties. For years I thought my first name was really “Damitall.”

Those early Brasso commercials on TV showed a smiling lady holding a pot with a shiny bright copper bottom. (shrug)

Oh yeah, when you go to sell them, use the word “CLEANED” several times, but with today’s buyers, they are still going to complain once they get them, so, good luck.

You don't want your name connected with these. see if this guy has anything worthwhile to sell and forget these.

I would only try and sell the occasional 'S' mint that has been cleaned from this time period.

Paul

That's a great joke EZ......lol

[font:Comic Sans MS] A man is dining in a fancy restaurant and there is a gorgeous redhead sitting at the next table. He has been checking her out since he sat down, but lacks the nerve to talk with her.

Suddenly she sneezes, and her glass eye comes flying out of its socket toward the man. He reflexively reaches out, grabs it out of the air, and hands it back! 'Oh my, I am so sorry,' the woman says as she pops her eye back in place.

'Let me buy your dinner to make it up to you,' she says.

They enjoy a wonderful dinner together, and afterwards they go to the theatre followed by drinks. They talk, they laugh, she shares her deepest dreams and he shares his. She listens.

After paying for everything, she asks him if he would like to come to her place for a nightcap and stay for breakfast. They had a wonderful, wonderful time.

The next morning, she cooks a gourmet meal with all the trimmings. The guy is amazed. Everything had been SO incredible!

'You know,' he said, 'you are the perfect woman.. Are you this nice to every guy you meet?'

'No,' she replies. . .

[/font]

She says:

'You just happened to catch my eye.'

lollollol

lollollol

lollollol

I bet she'll "Keep an eye out" for him now ! :grin:

Question? What's the best way to sell them now? Sale by the roll with a caveat?

Tell him these now catalog at 2 cents apiece as scrap copper.

I loved using Brasso when I was a kid. I thought turning common copper cents that were all dark and icky into shimmering brilliant beauties was kinda fun(and funny). Even works on the steel cents! :grin: I think I may have a few of those left around someplace. hm

Victor, that joke deserves a large BOOOOO! I would not do any more business with this pawn shop guy, he obviously does not get the concept of collecting coins.

The owner of the local pawn shop here found out that I collected coins and asked if I could sell his inventory for him. I said sure, just don't clean them.

Apparently the guy working at the pawn shop didn't quite understand the concept and cleaned over 50 teen-dated Lincoln cents with brasso. I called him and said don't clean anymore. He was truly puzzled. But, how can I read the date otherwise he retorted. Everybody who buys or sales coins cleans them he says.

Go back to the pawn shop. Buy a gun and a box of bullets from him. Load the gun and shoot the insufficiently_thoughtful_person!

Go back to the pawn shop. Buy a gun and a box of bullets from him. Load the gun and shoot the insufficiently_thoughtful_person!

That would seem a bit extreme.... hm

:o :o :o

I think whoever Brassoed those coins must drink the Brasso to prove it's safe.

:gossip: Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think that stuff is toxic. ;):whistle:

Yep, I just turned them over at about 20% of their former value. Oh well, I just did it to help a friend. I made $7 on the deal. :whistle:

He has some 1930's Tonopah tokens and some 1850's European coins that he's going to ensure won't get cleaned. Hopefully there will be some nice coins and tokens there. I'll find out pretty soon.

The good news is, coins like these are educational tools. I like to put them on the table next to a handful of original coins, and explain to newbies (usually kids) what NOT to do with their coins!

I'm sure they will be put to good use ;) ....