• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A gorgeous Maine commem and a price to match.....

26 posts in this topic

The Maine commem is one of the more difficult issues in the series to locate with great color. The one below, which is in the upcoming Heritage ANA sale and which I viewed in Dallas yesterday, is easily among the most beautifully toned ones I've seen. CDN bid for an MS66 is $610 and my bid of $2760 has already been matched or exceeded.

See here

Mark, have you seen the coin in person? I must say that from the images, it's a nice coin, but not incredibly nice. I agree that it is very tough to find a truly "pretty" Maine.

The Maine commem is one of the more difficult issues in the series to locate with great color.

Why do early commems have differing toning? Is it the packaging in which they came? Is it that some were more likely to be placed into albums? Something else? Thanks for any insight!

Mark, have you seen the coin in person? I must say that from the images, it's a nice coin, but not incredibly nice. I agree that it is very tough to find a truly "pretty" Maine.
James, the answer to your question can be found in my initial post to this thread. ;)

it is extremely unfortunate that a huge corporation as heritage can make a totally incorrect statement as this about a green bean cac stickered coin

"That is undoubtedly why CAC certified this piece as upper-end."

so the cac green bean sticker means on an ngc/pcgs coin that the coin is upper (high end) for the grade???

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hm

It is a beauty all right!!!!

:cloud9:

Has a very similar look to one I used to own and sold to barndog. When I first saw the coin I thought he sent it in and got a super upgrade. :blush:

1920mneobvlgD.jpg

1920mnerevlgD.jpg

DSCN2662A.jpg

James, the answer to your question can be found in my initial post to this thread. ;)

doh!

doh!

James, please make that a double slap to your head. I also wouldn't have described the coin as "easily among the most beautifully toned ones I've seen", had I not seen it in hand. :devil:

The Maine commem is one of the more difficult issues in the series to locate with great color.

Why do early commems have differing toning? Is it the packaging in which they came? Is it that some were more likely to be placed into albums? Something else? Thanks for any insight!

That's a good question. In many, if not most cases, it is the packaging. For example, certain issues are more apt than others to feature tab toning. I suspect that in other instances it might be where the coins were distributed and/or where/how they were stored, both before and after they were sold. As just one example, many Hawaiian half dollars feature a yellow/green hue that is somewhat unique to that particular issue. It's not especially pretty, either.

I have a 65 Maine with lots of color although somewhat muted luster and as such had added the one that Mark pointed out to my "watch list" along with some others. When I saw the price my jaw about hit the desk. I can now take it off my watch list :D

That's a good question. In many, if not most cases, it is the packaging. For example, certain issues are more apt than others to feature tab toning. I suspect that in other instances it might be where the coins were distributed and/or where/how they were stored, both before and after they were sold. As just one example, many Hawaiian half dollars feature a yellow/green hue that is somewhat unique to that particular issue. It's not especially pretty, either.

Thanks Mark!

I like commems, and I like that one, but I could never pay 4-5 times bid. If the toned craze runs it's course, as the bright white craze did some years ago, that would be a lot of money for me to lose.

I am a major buyer of classic commems and a hoarder of Texas issues. That someone would pay that kind of money above bid reminds me of some of the astronomical prices people were paying for MS 70 / PF 70 moderns. Whoever the buyer is, he certainly will be the end user. I am not really that impressed with the coin as it is a tad too darkly toned for me. I probably would discount my offer for it vs what I would pay for a brilliant gem or a lustrous light golden toned piece (full bid).

There are many who would manipulate a buyer to pay some huge premium for toning to such an extent the hapless buyer is paying many multiples of normal retail which is an unreasonably excessive premium for toned coins in my view. Be careful of this as when it comes time to sell, a potential buyer may view toned coins as merely a preference and not a markup tackon. You will have a very unpleasant fall down to Earth when he pulls out his bluesheet as your offering him the coin. Frankly, considering we may be on the brink of a depression, an offer of bluesheet for certified coins may come to be viewed as generous.

Think of how many American Gold Buffalos that guys bid would buy.

That is a lot for that Commem. The coin must look awesome in person!

I just purchased this 1916 NGC MS64 Buffalo for $180.00 that is $100.00 more than the Grey Sheet bid of $80.00. If the coin looks somewhat like its photo then I am OK! Well I will be much better than just OK!!!

1916NGC64Obv1.JPG

1916NGCRev1.JPG

That is a beautiful ME commem and I love toning, but I draw the line before the hammer price as long as my interpretation of the image is consistent with the coin in-hand. As for the toning on this issue, I believe there are several factors that come into play. The first is that the earlier commems, such as the 1920 ME, were more often carelessly handled and/or spent when compared to the later flood of classic commems and this means that fewer coins spent a significant percentage of time in their original holder. Also, if I recall correctly, the ME did not sell out as an initial offering and was sold through state agencies for many years later and these agencies did not necessarily keep the coins in their original packaging.