• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would YOU do with this if reslabbing was the plan?

31 posts in this topic

Hi, guys. Hope everyone is well.

When SEGS first came on the scene, I had about 10 coins that I sent in (not knowing then what I know now about the top 2 TPGs). This is one of my favorite coins but I am not quite sure how or if to have it reholdered. If I understand correctly, NCS might slab it for me (do they crack out too?..I am afraid I would make a real mess of things and don't want to take the chance) but does NGC grade cleaned early dollars like PCGS does...sort of....or doesn't ANACS slab cleaned stuff?

I do believe that VF 25 is maybe a bit high (I would go for 20), but the cleaning puts it into a whole new category...or does it...since so many of the early dollars have been messed with in one way or another.

If this was Your coin, and the consideration was to eventually sell it (hopefully a million years from now as part of my estate), what would be the wisest approach to make the coin most marketable? I very much appreciate and respect your opinions.

RI AL Many thanks!

1795o.jpg

1795r.jpg

You could always crack it out and submit it to NCS for conservation then submission to NGC for grading. If it is a no-grade, you can request that it be holdered by NCS.

Chris

If the images are even close to accurate, I'd be shocked if NGC or PCGS would assign a grade to that coin and slab it. Therefore I'd recommend either NCS or ANACS, the latter for a net grade due to the heavy cleaning.

Edited to add:

You could always crack it out and submit it to NCS for conservation then submission to NGC for grading. If it is a no-grade, you can request that it be holdered by NCS.

Chris

I think paying NCS to "conserve" it would be throwing good money after bad.

This coin could only improve after conservation. In fact it might not be slab-able even at NCS in its current condition.
How could it "only improve"? It is already ruined and presumably/hopefully NCS wouldn't be covering up the cleaning with color. Also, as noted, as long as it's authentic, NCS will slab it as genuine, despite the cleaning.

Chris

I think paying NCS to "conserve" it would be throwing good money after bad.

Probably right!

Chris

There is one other alternative..............dip the heck out of it, then put it in a Taco Bell napkin and leave it on the window sill for 2 years.

Chris

Regardless I would send it to NCS even if it is just to get the coin in a better slab. I would come closer to buying the piece in a NCS holder than any other TPG. Also SEGS is a , well you know! I also would let NCS break open the slab. SEGS slabs are the hardest holder for me to open.

PCGS will now give it a "Genuine" designation, even with the problems it has. If I were you, I would go this route. It costs $100, though.

PCGS will now give it a "Genuine" designation, even with the problems it has. If I were you, I would go this route. It costs $100, though.
Why spend $100 at PCGS instead of much less at NGC?

NGC won't slab this coin. But, if you meant NCS, then I'd just rather have it in a PCGS holder than a NCS one. NCS holders can sometimes mean the kiss of death when it comes to sell.

NGC won't slab this coin. But, if you meant NCS, then I'd just rather have it in a PCGS holder than a NCS one. NCS holders can sometimes mean the kiss of death when it comes to sell.

Whoops, yes, I meant NCS. But for a coin like that, I don't see any advantage of a PCGS genuine holder/label over an NCS one. Of course, different opinions is part of what makes things interesting ;)

I'm with Idhair [Larry] on this one. Just leave it where it is. You have it protected---it is graded a VF----Everyone already knows that it has been cleaned---the coin is attributed. Why spend additional monies?? The coin is what it is. Bob [supertooth]

It looks not only cleaned, but severely altered to me, as it had been burnished. And I think VF-25 is a full grade too high. F-12 seems more appropriate to me.

I am sorry to say, this coin is almost as close to "ruined" as it gets, and SEGS did no good service here.

Given it's condition, I would either leave it in the SEGS holder or send it to NCS. It probably will be worth more in the SEGS holder because NCS will downgrade it, IMHO.

Those dentils look AWFUL strong for a coin with so little detail. hm

That said, I would leave the coin as-is or get it in an ANACS or NCS holder (likely identifying the coin as cleaned).

That horse is pretty well dead. As someone else said, it's very wierd for the rim to be so strong when everything else (especially the obverse) is so far gone. How far do you trust SEGS to even know it's Authentic?

Just leave the poor thing alone. There's nothing really to be gained. It's not like an NCS holder can go in the registry.

Regardless I would send it to NCS even if it is just to get the coin in a better slab. I would come closer to buying the piece in a NCS holder than any other TPG. Also SEGS is a , well you know! I also would let NCS break open the slab. SEGS slabs are the hardest holder for me to open.

I agree completely. I believe that some buyers might question the coin's authenticity in an SEGS holder, rightly or not.

How far do you trust SEGS to even know it's Authentic?

SEGS grading may be questionable, especially in this case, but I would completely trust them to correctly identify a coin as being authentic. I can't think of anyone in numismatics whose opinion I would trust more than Briggs in this regard. If anything, SEGS may actually be better than NGC and PCGS where authentication is concerned :o !

Is there any other designation under the small little decal? SEGS stated "cleaned" but the coin looks more worked on than that.

Since there are so few problem PCGS coins in th market place I'd think the price this one would sell for in SEGS and the price it would sell for in a PCGS genuine holder would be greater than the $100.00 spent to get it crossed into one.

Based on those images, there seems two be two possiblilites. 1. It was scrubbed and is hairlined to death. 2. It used to have a heavy crust and was dipped in an attempt to lighten it, and it went to far. Some of that crust appears to remain on the reverse. If it's the latter, it can be helped. But it will take time.

If it were mine, I would crack it and put it in a sunny windowsill for a couple of years and let it mellow out. If nothing else the appearence will be improved.

JJ

Hello, Guys, and many thanks for the "right to the point" answers about my sad 1795 dollar. :P As many of you suggested, I think I am going to bite the bullet and send it off (along with a few other coins) off to NCS. I am not quite sure how to fill out a request of cracking out and re-evaluating (I don't really care about grade) but I agree that it is probably my best approach. My goal is not now resale, but to have the coin and the others I send, in a recognized, respected slab so that it (they) will be more saleable as part of my estate.

I also have never used my free 5 NGC Early Bird or World Submissions coupon that I got when I signed up for this great club. I think that will be this weekend's goal, to find 5 pieces that I like and would benefit from being slabbed.

Have a terrific weekend, everyone, and thanks again!

RI AL 92 degrees today...thank goodness for the AC

The coin appears to have had more work done on it than a simple cleaning. Either leave it as is or send it somewhere else for a details grade, but don't expect any conservation can help the coin. Unless there is a foreign substance adhered to the surface, there is no conservation that can be done on that coin that would not venture into aggressive manipulation, which is also known as doctoring.

just get it authenticated by a respected company --ANACS or NCS--and be happy if it's genuine to have a tough type coin slot filled..