• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins on a trip!

9 posts in this topic

I recently got back from a trip to NYC for a couple days, and as we were walking from one meeting to another, what should we pass, but Augustus Saint-Gaudens giant golden statue of winged victory in the park (this was the model for the double eagle obverse), then I was at the next meeting and it was right across the street from Stacks (near Carnegie Hall) but I didn't have time to go in, just saw some coins in the window that were very nice! All in all, a good trip with some nice surprises!

New York City is a wonderful place (says this native New Yorker) and a wonderful place to go change hunting. Whenever I go home for a weekend, I try not to use my credit cards and never pay using change. At the end of the day, I put the change in a zippy bag and start over again the next day. When I return to my current residence, I spread the coins out on the table to see what I have. I'll fill one of my two sets of folders with my finds. I'll even set aside the wheaties and the foreign coins I find.

On my last trip to NYC, I found a UK 20 pence coin and two silver war nickels.

BTW: New Yorker Scott Travers is known for doing coin drops in the city. I still hold out hope of finding one of his coins. I heard that the last time he did a coin drop, he put a 1914-D Lincoln into circulation.

Scott :hi:

BTW: New Yorker Scott Travers is known for doing coin drops in the city. I still hold out hope of finding one of his coins. I heard that the last time he did a coin drop, he put a 1914-D Lincoln into circulation.

Seeing as how he always seems to get some publicity while doing it, I'm surprised that it hasn't caused a riot somewhere. I could just see 100 people trying to get hot dogs from a street vendor that he just patronized.

Chris

nobody has ever mentioned it..( or noticed?)...but my avatar is an Augustus St Gaudens world famous piece..Diana of the Hunt was originally a very tall statue which sits atop Madison Square Garden in New York...there were 5 smaller bronze cast pieces made which sit in 5 museums in Paris, London etc..

I fell in love with the piece when I took my daughter up the road to the Smithsonian for a school project and the statue was the first work of art near the door...

The man truly had a gift for bringing out the wondrous beauty in the lines and form of the female figure........

62338-gaudens4.jpg.afc5205af875bf13e6231b30adb47017.jpg

I had noticed your avatar, Jackson, but thought it looked like one of the miniature statues of Diana. Here is a photo I took of Diana within ASG's studio at the Saint Gaudens National Historic Site in NH-

Diana.jpg

Such a talented artist, too bad we didn't have a president that would have gone to him in 1892 instead of Barber!

Such a talented artist, too bad we didn't have a president that would have gone to him in 1892 instead of Barber!
The president at the time was William Henry Harrison. He was the president between the Grover Cleveland administrations. Harrison and the G-O-P was fighting with the D-e-m-ocrats about who can better manage the growing industry in the United States. This was the robber baron era of the Rockefellers and Carnegie, the expansion of the railroads, and the predatory acts that led to the original passage of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act of 1892. The collective minds were on business and how to prop up the silver industry. They did not care what the coins looked like as long as they were struck. Of course that changed when Theodore Roosevelt became president after the assassination of William McKinley.

thanks for sharing that Tom..the statue at the Smithsonian is of the same height as your photo..my avatar is a pic of a smaller one--I've been searching on occasion ( when I think of it) for a nice 12-18" size issue for my mantle or desk