• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

13 posts in this topic

As many of you know, I am attempting to put together an Anacs Certificate Type set. Right now all of my purchases are in a 7070. My dilema is that some of the coins are pretty high grades such as a 66 Morgan and a 66 Walker. Would you leave them in the 7070 risking getting a slide mark on them and significantly reducing the value or would you take the higher grades stuff and put it in plastic?

JJ

I must agree with the others. I would rather have my high grade coins in their slabs.

I do have some high grade MS nickels in my "Library of Coins" album but I am very careful with the slides.

Since you started the thread, it is apparent that you are concerned about it. This would indicate that the best idea is probably to protect them beyond where they are now. You don't need to slab them necessarily, an airtite or something would be fine probably, unless they are really high dollar value.

I have never imparted slide marks on my coins, and most are in Dansco or Whitman albums. If used properly and with care, there is no reason to fear damaging the coins. I have some pretty expensive Washington quarters removed from MS-67 and PF-68/9 slabs in my albums, as well as an ex-PCGS PR-70 Ike, and have not harmed any of them.

However, if you have any notion at all that you may "slip up", then by all means, don't use the albums.

Thanks guys, food for thought anyway. Part of it is a protection thing, but there is always that notion when you pay 64 or 65 money for something, and know the coin is a 66 and want to prove it to yourself. :)

put the higher graded coins in plastic

for example in a coin world slab holder where the coin does not move or touch the plastic outer case

or in a cointain with a white outer ring insert ONLY

JJ, the whole objective of collecting using an album is to be able to view the entire collection as a whole. Since the coins mentioned aren't in slabs then I would put them in the album. Just don't breathe on them, finger them or move them once they're in the album.

You've got to enjoy what you're doing. Part of the joy of an album is seeing its completeness.

Victor