• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp: Irradiated dime

9 posts in this topic

What was the purpose of irradiating the dime? To promote atomic/nuclear energy at the time? I know that fruits, veggies, and medical supplies are irradiated to kill bacteria and to sterilize. Was the dime infected? lol

What was the purpose of irradiating the dime? To promote atomic/nuclear energy at the time? ...

I believe that was the reason. (thumbs u

Here is an article about them, if you want to know a little more.

The article on the irradiated dimes was very interesting. I think it would be neat to have a date and mint set of these!

What was the purpose of irradiating the dime? To promote atomic/nuclear energy at the time? ...

What? You mean they didn't use them as replacement batteries for hearing aids.

One of the Civil Service positions that my Mom held in the early 60's was at the Atomic Energy Commission. I remember visiting there as a young boy. I thought it was wierd that they had showers in the hallways.

Chris

Very interseting article.....thanks for the info!! (thumbs u