• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know about counterfeit Quarter Eagles?

12 posts in this topic

I picked this piece up a while back on ebay. The sellers' pics were dark, and he stated that it was not gold, so I figured it was either counterfeit, or a j-282 pattern that was carried as a pocket piece (dream on, Bob! :) ). I haven't found much information on it, so I was wondering if anyone had knowledge about contemporary counterfeit $2 1/2's, or had heard some stories.

The coin weighs 3.8 grams and looks brass to me.

I just hope it isn't modern Chinese junk.

Hey, maybe it is a unique pattern in brass, and I'm an instant millionaire! :D

62269-000_0367aa.jpg.19a36d7f2c62345d2b76e2996e58acf8.jpg

62270-000_0369aa.jpg.0f29a538ef5c2b78c5e123f2c9463455.jpg

I own a contemporary counterfeit quarter eagle. I like contemporary counterfeits, but haven't seen that many (not even Bust halves, of which there are enough contemporary counterfeits to justify a book about them).

I don't know how "common" contemporary counterfeit quarter eagles are, though.

The dealer from whom I bought mine had several counterfeit gold dollars but only one quarter eagle. The one I bought was reasonably inexpensive, though, if I remember correctly.

In my opinion, although this appears to be a hand carved counterfeit, it would have some very good value on the open market. It is not modern junk.

Surely, it's worth around a hundred bucks, but I absolutely love it beyond the price tag.

How much lol ?

In my opinion, although this appears to be a hand carved counterfeit, it would have some very good value on the open market. It is not modern junk.

Surely, it's worth around a hundred bucks, but I absolutely love it beyond the price tag.

How much lol ?

Well, James, there is this early copper piece on your website that I have been eyeing.... :)

Seriously, though, if you would like a closer look, PM me your address, and I will send it to you to examine to your heart's content.

I agree with James, crudely done contemporary counterfeit from hand cut dies. I think his value estimate may be a little high but it is still an interesting piece.

18982halfgoldcounterobv_1.jpg

19892halfgoldcounterrev_1.jpg

I traded for this 2 1/2 dollar 1898---plus a few others way back in the early 1960's. It was in a Coin World add----one gold piece for 15 red seal 2 dollar bills in any condition. So, I eagerly sent the guy 15 rag two dollar bills for this coin. I was very impressed with the trade----the dealer is still in business today.

It wasn't till years later that I took them to a Baltimore show. It was the 'old' ANACS folks that looked at them and declared them to be counterfeit. But WOULD NOT tell me WHY---or explain anything to me about the coins. I was left with finding out on my own.

Would be easy to sell them. Most dealers would not be able to tell either. Just think how easy that you could sell them on Ebay.

Naturally, with the price of gold being so high, I have made out well----just in gold content alone. And, now that guys are collecting such pieces, it makes it quite worthwhile. But, I have kept them to remind myself of how truely stupid that I used to be. It makes it a lot easier for me to be cautious NOW. Bob [supertooth]

I was very impressed with the trade----the dealer is still in business today.

Did you ever confront the dealer? I wonder if he knew they were fake.

Bob,

Sorry to hear of your "loss". Unfortunately, I think the early 1960s were the hey-dey of the "non-contemporary" counterfeits (they're usually attributed to middle eastern counterfeiters).

Also, unfortunately, while contemporary counterfeits are collectible, I don't think anyone (knowingly) collects non-contemporary counterfeits.

awb----- It had been seriously at least 30 years since I had bought those few pieces before I knew that they weren't any good. To have gone back to him at that time would have been useless. Besides, by the time that I knew about the problem, gold had risen to where it made sense to "keep them". Now, at today's prices, it looks like a good buy.

Being a dentist, I've thought about melting the coins ---several times over the years. That would be very easy for me to do. I have also thought about donating them to the ANA----for their counterfeit detection course. But, I keep holding on to them. As, every time that I take them out to look at them, I seem to learn some more. Just today, I learned some things as this was the first time that my wife has EVER taken a digital photo of one of the two Liberty coins. Much to my surprise, I was amazed at what those digital pictures revealed once put onto a computer screen. I let you guys see a nice picture. You should have seen one of the others. It is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING at what you can learn from a digital photo. Then you grab your loupes to find the stuff that the computer screen is showing to you.

As with most ALL advanced collectors, you do have to pay for your education. I consider these few coins to have been a TRUE BARGAIN. They have provided me with a wealth of knowledge over these many years. To be truthful, I'd probably actually THANK that seller NOW---for selling me those coins. It is all in what you learn from your mistakes. Those mistakes when I was a young man have allowed me to make very few now---I'm 61. The key is not to let your ego get in the way of becoming knowledgable. Humility is a wonderful virtue. Bob [supertooth]

Bob, your quarter eagle is a pretty good counterfeit except for a few small items. The color is off (I would guess that your coin is 14 or 18 carat), the last "A" in AMERICA is off, as is the size and spacing of the period after FIVE D. and the dot between it and the last "A" in America. Plus the "D" (for dollar) shape is wrong. On the obverse, the hair behind Liberty's ear is wrong as are the stars in the right hand field. She also has too many beads in her hair.

If you are going to buy these raw, you should have a genuine one with you, as well as a good loupe. Just a suggestion.