• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this token from a dig?

5 posts in this topic

I have not seen this particular token in hand so I am not sure.

They are supposed to be copper. This one is either the result of a dig or

something else.

It is very thin, has some lamination issues and a small hole in it.

Maybe this is an off metal?

I'm not sure.

Stefanie

turkeytoken017.jpg

turkeytoken014.jpg

turkeytoken020.jpg

20080715_101530.jpg

20080715_101547.jpg

20080715_101604.jpg

20080715_101700.jpg

I would say that this piece many have spent more time than it should have in an acid bath. It may have been dug, and perhaps the finder tried to improve it by dipping it in acid to remove an outer layer of corrosion. If it did not get an acid bath, it has been cleaned to the color you now see.

A Mint State example of this token would not be very thick. It was struck on a wider than normal planchet, and the thinness allowed the issuer to reduce the weight and cost of the piece.

BTW, this is one of the Civil War tokens that falls into the “copperhead” category. It was sponsored by a now unknown New York City businessman who wanted to end the war so that he could continue his profitable trade with the South. One time New York City mayor, Fernando Wood, called for New York City to secede from the Union so that businesses there could sell goods to both sides. He left office before the end of the war, and much of secession talk there died down with his departure.

Here is a R&B Mint State example of the “Washington Market Exchange” / “Live and Let Live” token.

NY630CC4aR.jpgNY630CC4aO.jpg

I would say that this piece many have spent more time than it should have in an acid bath. It may have been dug, and perhaps the finder tried to improve it by dipping it in acid to remove an outer layer of corrosion. If it did not get an acid bath, it has been cleaned to the color you now see.

A Mint State example of this token would not be very thick. It was struck on a wider than normal planchet, and the thinness allowed the issuer to reduce the weight and cost of the piece.

BTW, this is one of the Civil War tokens that falls into the “copperhead” category. It was sponsored by a now unknown New York City businessman who wanted to end the war so that he could continue his profitable trade with the South. One time New York City mayor, Fernando Wood, called for New York City to secede from the Union so that businesses there could sell goods to both sides. He left office before the end of the war, and much of secession talk there died down with his departure.

Here is a R&B Mint State example of the “Washington Market Exchange” / “Live and Let Live” token.

NY630CC4aR.jpgNY630CC4aO.jpg

Thanks, It looked very odd to me ;)

Stefanie