• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CWT's questions... Proofs or prooflike?

10 posts in this topic

Did they make proofs or proof like tokens?

I cannot capture the luster and reflective feilds of this token.

But when I pass my fingers back and forth over it I can see the reflection!!

The images make it look grainy and they are not.

Maybe its just a high grade red token but I wanted to get some input.

Stefanie

McClellanObverse.jpg

McClellanReverse.jpg

McClellanonangle.jpg

Since it depicted McClellan, I'm assuming it was under heavy pressure to circulate but spent most of its time demanding more coins and bemoaning its roll as woefully inadequate for circulation despite 4:1 numeric superiority.

Since it depicted McClellan, I'm assuming it was under heavy pressure to circulate but spent most of its time demanding more coins and bemoaning its roll as woefully inadequate for circulation despite 4:1 numeric superiority.

I think what he is trying to say is that McClellan was a lousy general who couldn't act decisively, especially when it came to using the outhouse.

But, it is still a nice token. If nobody has responded before I get home from work, I'll look it up in Rulau.

Chris

I think what he is trying to say is that McClellan was a lousy general who couldn't act decisively, especially when it came to using the outhouse.

I think ALL Yankee generals were lousy! That D&@n W. T. Sherman burned down my hometown!

I think ALL Yankee generals were lousy! That D&@n W. T. Sherman burned down my hometown!

..........but if he hadn't, I would never have gotten to see Atlanta's Underground.

Chris

62212-IMG_1099.JPG.ca872112523ab03e722b332b91a90a5e.JPG

Stef, the only thing I could find about this token is that the bust of McClellan is Reverse Die #1152. There was no specific listing for this token in Rulau.

Chris

It is doubtful that actual "proof strikings" were made of more than a very few tokens. However, there certainly would have been "specimen strikings" made - in other words, early strikes demonstrating the quality of the dies and the planchets, etc. Also, dies would have been freshly polished, just as with Federal products, so here too, early strikes would be prooflike.

You have a terrific passion for your series! I'm impressed by your interest.

It is doubtful that actual "proof strikings" were made of more than a very few tokens. However, there certainly would have been "specimen strikings" made - in other words, early strikes demonstrating the quality of the dies and the planchets, etc. Also, dies would have been freshly polished, just as with Federal products, so here too, early strikes would be prooflike.

You have a terrific passion for your series! I'm impressed by your interest.

Thank you VERY much for your help and kind words. I would agree that I am addicted to tokens(passion) :grin:

What grade would you say this one looks like and do you think it would grade red or red/brown?

Stefanie

What grade would you say this one looks like and do you think it would grade red or red/brown?

I would go with MS-64 RB, but too often, I grade CWTs like Federal small cents, meaning I often undergrade them. I wouldn't be upset by an MS-65 RB grade!