• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it really worth it to buy a PF 70 over a PF 69?

12 posts in this topic

I am looking at a 2008 Silver Eagle proof on Ebay. Its it worth it to pay the extra for a PF70? They seemed to be $20-40 more right now. Looking at the trend for prices on PF70's it seems so but I thought I would ask. You can tell I am new at this. Thanks Lisha

For me personally, No. The only time it matters is if your goal is being competitive in the registry. The only time I've paid for PF70 on a modern coin was buying a gold coin where the PF69 was about $10 over melt and the PF70 was about $20 over melt. For $10 I was willing to get the 70.

No.

Look at a PF-69 and a PF-70 coin. Can you tell a difference? I can *almost* guarantee that you can't tell any real difference. With that in mind, is it worth paying so much more for 1 extra point?

Is it really worth it to buy a PF 70 over a PF 69? In my opinion, no.

Lisha, Perhaps another question to ponder is: "Is it really worth it to buy SAEs slabbed over original government packaging?" hm

No - Buy ASE's as close to melt as you can get them for.

Circulated classic USA silver dollars you can browse at a show and get close to melt are also a good deal today. These are fun to buy. I also like 90% silver circ Franks and Walker 50c.

I buy modern gold if I can get it close to melt. People bring that stuff up to my table all the time in 69 and 70 - I simply offer them melt, its silly to slab that stuff anyway. The ones who need money will sell. I have put away so much of this material I have bought at shows in bank boxes the gal at the bank teases me she is confident her banks money is backed in gold.

When the stock market crash comes shortly, gold and silver will go thru the roof.

When the USA and Israel decide to take out Iran's Hitler, silver and gold will go up further.

Look for a massive sudden surprise move on Iran. Strategically the only option to save our financial system / country may be to move in and take all their oil in one massive surprise attack. Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia (for the oil), etc. Thats what I would do. Otherwise China or Russia might try to beat us to the punch. Even more reason to do it. We already have forces there, Israel is an ally, and we can take them all out and close out the game. Oh did I mention we should consider a nuclear first strike against Pakistan in case they don't like us going in there and roasting those tribal areas with carpet bombing and napalm to get Bin Laden and his rabid followers? I don't see why he is permitted to stay there relatively unharrassed by USA forces. Are we there to fight or what? We should have no respect for borders in taking out vermin like that. That area should be subjected to such a bombardment that not a single building is left standing. Then the army and marines can go in there and eliminate whoever is left. No prisoners should be taken. Then we will see if there is anyone else who wants to fight.

It depends on the premium. If there are large jumps just go for an MS67, assuming there are any around because sometimes the prices are not worth having it slabbed in the first place. Whatever the case, your best bet is to buy the grade just below the big jump in price because these are all pretty much the same in quality.

You could also save going RAW but then you'd have to search to find a superb gem. Getting a slabbed one at least you know it's up there in grade.

jom

If you are looking to make a profit off your SAE down the road, the additional $20-$40 is a small amount to pay for a potential return on the differance between the PF69 and PF70.

2 examples would be the 1999 and 2000 SAE. The PF69 is valued at $62.50 and the PF70 at $650 for the 1999 and $56.25 at PF69 and $606.25 for the PF70 for the 2000 according to Numismedia.

Looking back, $20-$40 difference is a great bargain. But there is no telling what the values will be in the future for the 2008.

I would take the chance and spend a few more $$ and go for the PF70. It will give you a few more points in the registry and could give you a valuable coin later on down the road.

No - Buy ASE's as close to melt as you can get them for.

Circulated classic USA silver dollars you can browse at a show and get close to melt are also a good deal today. These are fun to buy. I also like 90% silver circ Franks and Walker 50c.

I buy modern gold if I can get it close to melt. People bring that stuff up to my table all the time in 69 and 70 - I simply offer them melt, its silly to slab that stuff anyway. The ones who need money will sell. I have put away so much of this material I have bought at shows in bank boxes the gal at the bank teases me she is confident her banks money is backed in gold.

When the stock market crash comes shortly, gold and silver will go thru the roof.

When the USA and Israel decide to take out Iran's Hitler, silver and gold will go up further.

Look for a massive sudden surprise move on Iran. Strategically the only option to save our financial system / country may be to move in and take all their oil in one massive surprise attack. Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia (for the oil), etc. Thats what I would do. Otherwise China or Russia might try to beat us to the punch. Even more reason to do it. We already have forces there, Israel is an ally, and we can take them all out and close out the game. Oh did I mention we should consider a nuclear first strike against Pakistan in case they don't like us going in there and roasting those tribal areas with carpet bombing and napalm to get Bin Laden?

I have mentioned this before. Iran at one time was in complete control of the Strait of Hormuz.After the Iran/Iraq war half of it was given to Iraq and Iran still feels that the other half should belong to them.They also mined it during the Iraq/Iran war.

Although we do not import any Oil from Iran there would still be global effects from any blockage of it which would not only trickle down but would cause the Speculators on the Futures excange to bid the price up.

I am not too sure about Russia because it has vast reserves itself which is just beginning to be tapped. I agree that there is a large Potential for a preemptive strike on Iran for this reason alone and many see other reasons.I also think that any preemptive strike will have to be made before December of this year or it will not be made at all.

If the strike is not made then there will be a steady rise in Commodites as well as Oil, Gold and Silver. If the strike is made then the Price of Gold and Silver will go through the roof .If Iran is able to block the Flow of Oil through the Strait of Hormuz then look at $4.00 for a gallon of gas to be on the cheap side.