• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Daughter..."need" to buy her the "First One"......suggestions?

16 posts in this topic

I haven't posted too many times, but have been reading and watching for awhile.....

We just had our first child, Zoe, and I "need" to buy her her first coin. We can spend a couple-few hundred (but don't necessarily need to go that high, more interested in the future potential as well as current interest)....any suggestions? I am interested to see all of your ideas.

Thanks,

Eric

I guess I'm kind of partial to Silver Eagles and you can get it in her birth year with no problem. Maybe a nice Uncir.2008W

It's a shameless self-promotion, to be sure, but I'm selling this on eBay. I was thinking of giving it to my newborn niece, but I got her something else instead (non-coin, since I don't think her parents will hang on to a coin).

eBay: 2008 PCGS MS69 Silver Britannia

2008britannia_s2b.jpg

2008britannia_s2c.jpg

I would buy her a proof set and put a letter in it and then a new proof set each year after(with another letter) that till she turns 18 and then give her them all. My parents did that and reading the early note were ver interesting.

I would go this path and even extend it to the silver proof set and the uncirculated mint set.

If you wanted to get a little more into the classic side of collecting, how about a century mint set? 1908 was a good year and affordable in collector grades.

Congrats!

If you wanted to get a little more into the classic side of collecting, how about a century mint set? 1908 was a good year and affordable in collector grades.

Congrats!

That's what I'm currently doing. My wife had a little boy last month. He missed my birthday by three days. However, my set will most definitely be a "year set." :smile:

I like the birth year proof set idea. Here's another: birth year coins from all her grandparents and great-grandparents, to introduce her to the past. When I was 8 and first started collecting, my great-grandma realized she'd found the grandchild to give her birth year Morgans to: four 1884s (two P, two O). Nothing to shoot out the lights gradewise, but for a young person that can really be special.

Goes without saying I still have those. And when I find that special nephew or niece or great-nephew or great-niece, I'll be ready to start passing them on.

Several great recommendations presented here, there are many options for you to choose from. I have found that when trying to commemorate something or build a collection/sub-set of a collection pertaining to a certain person or event, there are many avenues to take.

I am biased, at least initially, on the mint set and proof set each year for her. My father did a similar thing, when I was born in 1957, he began purchasing three of each for both US and Canadian coins, one for him, one for my mom and one for me. He stopped the practice when he moved overseas for work, but my mom and I now have over thirty years of mint and proof sets in triplicate for both the US and Canadian coins.

Congratulations on the arrival of your daughter and whatever you decide, I am sure she will grow up to appreciate it more than you know.

Rey

Proof sets and mints sets are the bread and butter of the hobby but very few sets have returned much of a profit in the past 50 years.

They are nice, sentimental gifts.

I think that Zoe would be better off in the long run if you'd purchase her gold.

All,

You all have given me some really good options to choose from, even "self promoting" pendragon1998 and his Silver Brit. :)

My original thought was a combination of some of the above....I was, at first, thinking about a 1908 quarter or half Indian (combining the gold and century ideas). BUT, I really like some of the other ideas......will have to mull it over for awhile.

Thanks for the ideas!

Eric

Congratulations for you and your wife, Eric! I'd like to send a gift for Zoe if I may. Please PM me your address.

Chris

PS. Don't buy the 2008 Uncirculated Silver American Eagle.