• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Type set help

13 posts in this topic

I should be getting my settlement check next week. My wife said I can have $2000 for coins. So my question is what should I buy with it, should I buy on or two hard ones or a bunch of easy ones?

Just a thought, actually, I had paid some earlier IRS taxes and my wife let me have the rebate check from the IRS. I split it between one fairly expensive coin and a couple of darkside, english, silver and an AU, 1924-S Peace dollar.

Go for the hard one Harv, I know that's what I'd do had I 2k to spend. And I too am working on a type set and have the "high value" coin slots mostly to fill.

You should buy what you want, not what someone else suggests. And if you aren't sure enough about what you want and need to ask, maybe you shouldn't buy anything until you are sure. ;)

You should buy what you want, not what someone else suggests. And if you aren't sure enough about what you want and need to ask, maybe you shouldn't buy anything until you are sure. ;)
Why do you always have to give such good advice so early in the morning!

On another note, go spend your money with Mark!

I have never understood the reasoning behind "Buy the keys first." Although I have an extremely large amount of respect for Dave Bowers who first spouted this gem I totally disagree. Why would anyone want to make a mistake--and believe me, with an unfamiliar series mistakes are occasionally going to be made--on a 4 or 5 figure coin while learning the ins and outs of that series when the same mistakes could have been made on one costing 10 percent of the key? Save the keys for later on after you have graduated from newbie status on that set.

For the OP..Buy what you have already done your homework on whether that be an expensive one or not. If you haven't done your research on any of the types you still need then don't buy at all. Save the cash until you do know what to buy.

Determine what your current and long-term goals are for this set and for the hobby, use only funds that you are absolutely certain that you will not need for anything else, determine the best strategy to get to where you want to be numismatically and perhaps ask the advice of a trusted and knowledgeable few to help you along the way.

I have never understood the reasoning behind "Buy the keys first." Although I have an extremely large amount of respect for Dave Bowers who first spouted this gem I totally disagree. Why would anyone want to make a mistake--and believe me, with an unfamiliar series mistakes are occasionally going to be made--on a 4 or 5 figure coin while learning the ins and outs of that series when the same mistakes could have been made on one costing 10 percent of the key? Save the keys for later on after you have graduated from newbie status on that set.

For the OP..Buy what you have already done your homework on whether that be an expensive one or not. If you haven't done your research on any of the types you still need then don't buy at all. Save the cash until you do know what to buy.

I have understood the reasoning behind "buy the keys first" - it's just that I don't agree with it. :) Good advice, Jim!

Edited to add: And good advice, Tom!

Great advice all. I think I will just sit back and do a little more thinking and learning before I make any big purchases. I will also more then likely ask a few people their opinions on anything I do buy.

I should be getting my settlement check next week. My wife said I can have $2000 for coins. So my question is what should I buy with it, should I buy on or two hard ones or a bunch of easy ones?

Just an observation: $2000 goes a long way toward an awesome numismatic library - one which will provide numerous hours of numismatic enjoyment.