• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VOC coin in the Red Book?

8 posts in this topic

Hopefully somebody here can help me out. I've been searching for the last hour trying to find the Dutch East Indies Company VOC copper coin in the Red Book. I know I've seen it before, although I can't find it now. I've flipped through every single page of the dang thing. Can someone point me in the right direction, or am I going crazy and it never was in the book?

Dutch East Indies Co. isn't listed in the "Red Book" Index. If it isn't in the Index I doubt that it is in the book.

I checked the 4th Edition of the Krause/Mishler book, Standard Catalog of World Coins, and there are listings on pages 987 & 988 under the Netherlands East Indies "Gelderland" and "Holland - United East India Company" for a copper coin bearing a "V" superimposed over an "OC". Are either of these the right one?

Chris

Yes, that's the one, also pictured below. I clearly remember seeing a picture of this coin, in particular the VOC side, with a description of what VOC stands for (the company name in Dutch). I'm pulling my hair out now trying to find it again, though.

150px-VOC_duit.jpg

Yes that is a Dutch East Indies duit. But you won't find it in the Redbook

What causes the confusion is that so MANY people call these "New York pennies", or New York Duits and say they were commonly circulated in Dutch New York. Problem is they are confusing Dutch East Indies or Indonesia with the Dutch WEST Indies which was New York and Dutch possessions in the Carribean. Yes a few of them may have found their way to New York but these coins, though very common, were intended to circulate in a country on the other side of the world.

Well then where the :censored: did I see it?!? I don't have any books on world coins. The Red Book is the only one I have that would be likely to have it. This is really bothering me, like when you can't think of that actor's name that was in that movie that you've seen a thousand times...

:frustrated:

Since the Red Book is a guide for U.S. coins, you may have just thought you saw it in there. It is possible that you may have seen it elsewhere, but the Red Book is the only reference material you can recall reading.

Chris