• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My example of buy the coin, not the slab

32 posts in this topic

Finding high grade Eisenhower Dollars is a difficult task. Even in the Silver uncirculated coins, MS68 and over are really bordering on condition rarities. So when Heritage sent me an email with a note saying that a 1976-S Silver Eisenhower Dollar graded MS68 by PCGS was available for auction, I was excited... until I saw the coin.

I find the edge toning ugly and very unappealing. The reverse toning is even uglier. It looks like album toning and the coin was submitted after sitting in the album for a while. I am not a fan of toning but can tolerate some. But I find this coin just fugly.

Finding an Eisenhower Dollar graded MS68, the coin would add a net 600 points to my 1976 Silver Registry set to move me from ninth place to fifth. But I hate this coin so much that I am not going to be seduced by the grade on the holder. I am not going bid on this coin.

Practicing what I preach... buy the coin, not the holder, sticker, or dealer hype!

Scott :hi:

Wouldn't this be an example of NOT buying the coin or the slab? ;)

Friendly ribbing aside, I find the rim/album toning appealing -- so I guess different strokes for different folks.

However, I don't like this coin as a 68 -- more like a pretty 67 in my eyes.

Respectfully...Mike

Usually, I find rim toning to be very attractive, but I have to agree that for some reason, the toning on this particular coin just doesn't look "right". Maybe it's the image? But it seems to erupt to "suddenly" to my eye.

I agree with you Scott (and James). For some reason these 40% silver Ikes (71-S; 72-S; 73-S; 74-S, and 76-S) just don't come with appealing toning at all.

If they are toned it is usually blotchy and/or a light mud brown that is highly unattractive.

So funny.....I think the coin is a knockout and bid on it right away.....I can't believe folks don't like it...but I am glad :applause:

I like it too... (shrug)

I hope you win! (thumbs u

So funny.....I think the coin is a knockout and bid on it right away.....I can't believe folks don't like it...but I am glad :applause:

I like it too... (shrug)

I hope you win! (thumbs u

I just saw what the past MS68's have sold for......ahhhh I won't be winning it doh!

Scott, here is a classic example of buy what you like, and how different people find different things appealing. I actually find that coin to be very attractive, and if I were in the market for one, would be willing to pay a premium for it.

The responses have been very interesting!

I just had a visceral reaction to the coin... counted to 10, then posted my opinion. I know I am out numbered regarding toned coins--I am not a fan. Although some toning looks interesting, I know I do not want them in my collection. I like my silver looking like silver.

My point was that rather than "sell out" for the registry set, I will not bid for this coin because I hate the way it looks. This is on the heels of another CAC-related discussion elsewhere on these boards.

MikeInFL: I hate you! ;) That's my idea of a great looking MS68 coin! :golfclap:

kryptonitecomics: Good luck anyway... but I would pay the money if the coin looked like MikeInFL's version! (Mike... I still hate you!! (worship) )

Dcoin: the doubling is a digital image artifact. It seems to be typical of the way that Heritage does its images.

MikeInFL: Are you selling????:cool:

Sorry, Scott, I have no plans to sell the coin, but when/if I do, you're first on the list. (thumbs u

As for Dcoin's question -- I agree with Scott and am fairly certain the feature you mention is a lighting artifact and not doubling.

Yeah Shane, you are not getting that coin that easy. My bid will come in late and strong! I have a blast white MS68 IKE, but would love to get my hands on that toned one.

I just had a visceral reaction to the coin... counted to 10, then posted my opinion. I know I am out numbered regarding toned coins--I am not a fan. Although some toning looks interesting, I know I do not want them in my collection. I like my silver looking like silver.

My point was that rather than "sell out" for the registry set, I will not bid for this coin because I hate the way it looks. This is on the heels of another CAC-related discussion elsewhere on these boards.

MikeInFL: I hate you! ;) That's my idea of a great looking MS68 coin! :golfclap:

kryptonitecomics: Good luck anyway... but I would pay the money if the coin looked like MikeInFL's version! (Mike... I still hate you!! (worship) )

Dcoin: the doubling is a digital image artifact. It seems to be typical of the way that Heritage does its images.

MikeInFL: Are you selling???? :cool:Scott :hi:

Hey Scott, if I win the auction, you can buy my MS68

EisenhowerDollar1976-SSilverNGCMS68.jpgEisenhowerDollar1976-SSilverNGCM-1.jpg

I know I am out numbered regarding toned coins--I am not a fan. Although some toning looks interesting, I know I do not want them in my collection. I like my silver looking like silver.

I'm sort of with you on that point. I do not like toned modern coins (and here, I define 'modern' as ~1940-50 and forward). I feel that for most modern coins - and especially an Ike - if they're toned it means they weren't properly stored. I realize that some albums impart toning and that's fine if it's what you like, but I just feel like if a coin's barely 30-40 years old, it has no business looking like it's 100 years old. It ought to look like it's brand spankin' new. If you want to see a visceral reaction, show me a toned silver eagle. Ugh.

Like you, I realize I'm not in the majority on that - or maybe I am - but it doesn't matter, as everyone should just collect what they like.

Older coins...well, toning is hit or miss with me. I'm not a fan of bright rainbow colors, but a certain, natural patina is okay once I feel like a coin has earned it. I guess it's like makeup on a pretty girl - you shouldn't notice it ;)

I know I am out numbered regarding toned coins--I am not a fan. Although some toning looks interesting, I know I do not want them in my collection. I like my silver looking like silver.

I'm sort of with you on that point. I do not like toned modern coins (and here, I define 'modern' as ~1940-50 and forward). I feel that for most modern coins - and especially an Ike - if they're toned it means they weren't properly stored. I realize that some albums impart toning and that's fine if it's what you like, but I just feel like if a coin's barely 30-40 years old, it has no business looking like it's 100 years old. It ought to look like it's brand spankin' new. If you want to see a visceral reaction, show me a toned silver eagle. Ugh.

Like you, I realize I'm not in the majority on that - or maybe I am - but it doesn't matter, as everyone should just collect what they like.

Older coins...well, toning is hit or miss with me. I'm not a fan of bright rainbow colors, but a certain, natural patina is okay once I feel like a coin has earned it. I guess it's like makeup on a pretty girl - you shouldn't notice it ;)

OK, you asked for it.

SAE2001PCGSMS69.jpgSAE2001PCGSMS69ObverseHolder.jpg

I actually kinda like the toning. It's not breath taking, but it's not horrible either. I like the reverse better than the obverse though.

Same here.

OK, I'm going to vote with Scott B here and vote AGAINST the coin at Heritage. I too find the rim toning very unappealing. Similarly, I like my silver to look like silver.

I haven't done it YET, but with ANY new Ikes that I submit to NGC for grading, any that I have in Blue or Brown Packs, I am going to submit them to NCS first under their new "Modern Tier" where for the flat fee of $20 they will conserve the coin AND the price also includes grading service by NGC!

So, they basically may clean up the coin AND it gets an NGC holder - for a flat $20 -- not too shabby. As I said, I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a great service, and its only for ungraded coins 1970 or later, so Ikes fit in nicely and I bet those that have some spotting or toning may turn out pretty well and MIGHT (I repeat MIGHT) even upgrade. It's hard to know since you don't get a grade first, then a conservation, then another grade, but considering it's just a few dollars more to submit it to NCS first and considering how many of those Ikes I have in Blue and Brown Packs that I never submitted because they were toned or had spots, I think I might luck out on a few coins that are otherwise pretty attractive.

The point about the issue at hand though was that I agree about THIS coin -- no go!

1976SMS68HeritageIKECoinD.jpg

I find the rim toning appealing in that I feel comfortable that it is completely natural unlike some 40% Silver Toned coins I've seen in the past.

I'm also hoping that 95% of those marks I see are on the plastic and not the coin. (Like that little diddy in his hair!)