• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trusted online stores and malevolent/overpriced online stores

25 posts in this topic

I thought making a thread showing where everyone shops would be beneficial to others. And listing online sites to avoid...so that other forum members dont face the same problems. For the non-trustworthy sites, maybe list the reason for your decision.

Here are mine:

Trusted:

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com

http://www.hausercoin.com/

http://www.ha.com/

(not sure if it is belongs above, auction oriented, but they are very respectable)

Malevolent/overpriced (couldnt think of a better word):

www.abon.com

(claims almost all of his products are MS/PR 70...graded by SGS. Incidently, 99% of SGS graded coins are listed on ebay/ sold through abon. The coins are mailed with major/minor scratches and smudges.)

www.hsn.com, www.shopnbc.com (price gouging)

http://www.coastcoin.com/

John Paul Sarosi INC (not sure if there is a website or Ebay name)

www.govmint.com

www.collectibleamerica.com

National Collector's Mint- http://www.nationalcollectorsmint.com/

Franklin Mint- http://www.franklinmint.com/

(colorized and gold plated junk)

Ill put stamp websites that try and sell coinage...not a good idea to buy coins and currency from a website that doesnt specialize in the respected area

http://www.kenmorestamp.com/

http://www.mysticstamp.com/

This is most likely one of the worst

http://www.littletoncoin.com

(They have a partial state quarter set 1999-2007, 90 coins for 141 dollars, but... the coins are in MS60, you could easily find the state quarters in that same condition just by going to a local bank)

www.gainesvillecoins.com has always treated me well and the prices are reasonable, especially on the the moderns (which is a big part of what they do).

www.gainesvillecoins.com has always treated me well and the prices are reasonable, especially on the the moderns (which is a big part of what they do).
I met them in Baltimore last year.. We were smoking in the cold dreary rain.. Everyone I had met to that point was all buisness.. These guys were laughing and haveing a time ..Really Nice guys..

The kind that you hope will do well in the buisiness.

I do hope you're joking about Coast to Coast coins, they have one of the worst reputations out there.

Go on any major forum and ask around; their idea of business is to sell raw at highly inflated grades and have been doing it for years. There have been some really long threads about these guys on the PCGS forums, as well as other places, with the vast majority of the memebers saying that they had been burned badly by them before.

I, among a few others that i've spoken with, have lobbied Numismatic News for a couple years now to drop those guys from advertising, as they are in business to burn newbies. No luck yet, advertising dollars win out every time.

in fact, here is 5 pages in one thread (over 130 posts) of people that have been burned by CtoC, or know their scheme

click here

oh yeah, i forgot the most damning evidence: Ken Pines (the owner of this racket) was expelled by the ANA for his business practices with this firm:

click here

so with that being said, i can only ask you to please remove the CtoC as a list of 'good guys' on the thread. i'd hate for another newbie to be conned by this outfit.

John Paul Sarosi is one to definitely avoid!! I had a serious run-in with this vulgar man a few years back and detailed it in depth with an NGC post.

I do hope you're joking about Coast to Coast coins, they have one of the worst reputations out there.

Go on any major forum and ask around; their idea of business is to sell raw at highly inflated grades and have been doing it for years. There have been some really long threads about these guys on the PCGS forums, as well as other places, with the vast majority of the memebers saying that they had been burned badly by them before.

I, among a few others that i've spoken with, have lobbied Numismatic News for a couple years now to drop those guys from advertising, as they are in business to burn newbies. No luck yet, advertising dollars win out every time.

in fact, here is 5 pages in one thread (over 130 posts) of people that have been burned by CtoC, or know their scheme

click here

oh yeah, i forgot the most damning evidence: Ken Pines (the owner of this racket) was expelled by the ANA for his business practices with this firm:

click here

so with that being said, i can only ask you to please remove the CtoC as a list of 'good guys' on the thread. i'd hate for another newbie to be conned by this outfit.

Doogy,

He is on the list of bad guys. Please re-read the OP.

click here

click here

Doogy,

He is on the list of bad guys. Please re-read the OP.

He is now. Before my posts, he had him listed as a good guy as the OP had a fair transaction with him.

Interesting list. Here are some thoughts:

Coast to Coast Coin can almost be described as schizophrenic. If you deal with them via their website or mail order, you will overpay and you feel like you are dealing with dolts. However, at the shows, they are nicer and reasonably priced. I buy silver NCLT from them (Maple Leafs, Pandas, etc.), usually at the Baltimore show and they are comparably priced.

Littleton is very over priced. However, their sale items are interesting and I have picked up some nice bargains from their sales. Unfortunately, this puts you on their mailing list and they keep sending packages of coins for me to buy. All over priced!

BTW: Mystic Stamp Company is owned by David Sundman's (Littleton) brother.

Govmint.com is overpriced and not very nice. But they do have foreign NCLTs that are difficult to find. Two better places for foreign NCLT are www.eurocollections.com and Talisman Coins.

I believe that the selection from David Lawrence Rare Coins is underrated while Teletrade is overrated. However, Teletrade's customer service is great!

Then there are my two favorite places to buy coin supplies: JP's Corner and Brooklyn Gallery of Stamps and Coins. JP's has the best selection of AirTites other than the company themselves. Brooklyn Gallery has Gardmaster albums at great prices for my Canadian coins! Brooklyn Gallery will ship same-day if ordered before 1pm--they don't say that on their site, but I called them once and asked how they arranged for such speedy delivery.

Special mention for a board member: Wayne Herndon. I have not ordered from his site, but his booth is a must stop at the shows. Wayne has one of the best selection of raw US coins. I once picked up a 1976-D Type 2 Ike Dollar at a Baltimore show that ended up being graded MS-66! I hope to see him at the ANA show in a few weeks because I'm looking for more!! ;)

Scott :hi:

Dealers I've done enough business with to recommend:

Mark Feld

Coin Rarities Online

Pinnacle

Legend

Heritage

David Lawrence

Rare Coins of New Hampshire

Tim Puro

Shawn Yancey

Doug Bird

Butternut

Tom Reynolds

I am happy to say that virtually all of my transactions have been smooth ones, so I really don't have anything bad to share....Mike

Littleton is very over priced. However, their sale items are interesting and I have picked up some nice bargains from their sales. Unfortunately, this puts you on their mailing list and they keep sending packages of coins for me to buy. All over priced!

I stumbled upon an interesting way to get rid of Littleton mailers a long time ago. I placed a simple order from them and it took so long for them to fill the order I'd returned to college by the time it arrived at the house. They sent one of their "on approval" selections in the same package as the order with instructions to mail back payment or the coin in 2 weeks. My family didn't know any thing about this and I wasn't home to figure it out. 2 months later when I came home and saw the coin I was shocked. I had no interest in paying them $25 for a silver eagle when spot was $13, so, albeit a bit late, I mailed it back to them. I have no idea if they got the coin back but they don't send me any mail anymore.

Funny about Littleton "on approval" coins. Back the the late 70's,,early 80's I used that service for about a year. I think I bought maybe 12-15 coins out of about 100 they sent.

Well. I recently sold some of them for what I consider great returns. 200-400 percent.S few even more. They weren't high end but I made some good money.

Some Dealers I've done business with online that have served me well:

Harlan J Berk

DLRC

JJ Teaparty (really great customer service)

For Books: Stanton Books - great prices and good selection

I have used Gainesville Coins quite a few times. I buy Silver Eagles from them and their prices are very good. It's where I got my 08 reverse of 70 SAE at a great price. I recommend them to everyone!

A couple of other large advertisers to generally avoid are:

1) Paul Sims

2) The Coin Depot

The are in the same category as Coast to Coast Coins. However, I had purchased quite a few of my modern commems from them at competitive prices. That's cool, it's the older coins where you must beware!

A couple of other large advertisers to generally avoid are:

1) Paul Sims

2) The Coin Depot

The are in the same category as Coast to Coast Coins. However, I had purchased quite a few of my modern commems from them at competitive prices. That's cool, it's the older coins where you must beware!

I was suprised that it took so long to get to Paul Sims. Don't know about the Modern Commem but once was enough for a "Premium Quality" Morgan from them.

I heard that the ANA has anointed Silvertown's Leon Hendrickson (one in the same as the convicted, tax-evasion felon) as Numismatist of the year. Now isn't that the kitty's meow!

I forgot one of my favorites:

American Coin and Stamp Brokerage of Merrick, NY. ACSB runs a monthly mail bid sale that I have used a lot! I know mail bid sales may be a bit passe in the digital age, but I find it fun. They always have some great stuff on sale. This is a great group of people and it is always a blast when I get to drop by their store front in the middle of the village of Merrick. ACSB is very good, the folks are very intelligent, and someone there can answer almost any numismatic question.

I wholeheartedly agree with Jason. I have had nothing but successful dealings with

David Greenstein at Harlan J Berk-many, many satisfied transactions

Liz Coggan at JJTeaparty--very satisfied with quality and service

our own James Garcia of EarlyUS.com--several transactions-great eye for coins and fantastic quality

and hope someday to buy from Mark Feld

When I make repeat purchases from an individual-I am satisfied. I do not usually give a poor purchase a second chance(with a few exceptions, as we all are human-well maybe not all of us).

I would say if you agree with someone go ahead and second or third nominate the dealer, as the more satisfied customers that name the dealer cannot hurt their reputations.

Jim

Anyone ever done business with or even heard of Millers Mint? Harry Miller is the owner. I think there's another better known Harry Miller? They have a storefront in Patchogue,Long Island, New York. They've been in the same town for 35 years at least. They do extensive traveling to coin shows and conventions. I did a lot of collecting from there growing up in the next town. They do have online buying,but after having bought only a few Morgans from them recently they don't seem to have the time to answer e-mails.

Anyone ever done business with or even heard of Millers Mint? Harry Miller is the owner. I think there's another better known Harry Miller? They have a storefront in Patchogue,Long Island, New York. They've been in the same town for 35 years at least. They do extensive traveling to coin shows and conventions. I did a lot of collecting from there growing up in the next town. They do have online buying,but after having bought only a few Morgans from them recently they don't seem to have the time to answer e-mails.

I have had several enjoyable transactions with Miller's Mint.

Wow!! I really didn't expect anyone to know about them. I think Harry is an excellent grader,but his bedside manner could use some work.

Wow!! I really didn't expect anyone to know about them. I think Harry is an excellent grader,but his bedside manner could use some work.

I have met and spoken with Joan Miller, the last time at the Whitman show last March. Harry is also nice but seems to be busier at the shows. But I love to drop by and see Joan and Harry. We "met" at the ANA National Money Show in Charlotte. She was surprised that I didn't talk with an accent and knew how to pronounce Patchogue (PATCH-oag).

While most of their coins are raw (the way I like them), I bought a 1976-S MS68 Washington Quarter. It's a real nice coin and they even gave me a good deal.

They will be in Baltimore in two weeks. I look forward to seeing them!!