• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'M IN AGONY!!!

13 posts in this topic

I received my Mint order of Sacagawea rolls last week. As usual, I keep them in their shipping box with the invoice until I have time to check and make sure I got exactly what I ordered. I also make it a point to see if any of the rolls are tails/tails so I can write the year on the roll.

Pardon me for drifting from the subject, but this is really getting ridiculous. For the last two years, my regular order of two rolls of each mintmark (a total of four rolls) has been packed in separate boxes. That's right, I get one roll in each of the four boxes, and each box has five compartments. I've got the feeling that the contract shipping company is gouging the Mint for the expenditure, and "We the people" end up paying increasing prices for it.

Now, back to the original subject, and this is what has me in agony. As I was checking the end coins, I had to do a double take on one of the "P" rolls. The obverse has only the (tiny, tinier, tiniest ) little nick on it. It is as clean as a baby's butt. It's MS68 for sure, and possibly MS69. Now, what do I do? Do I rip open the roll to see what the reverse looks like? Is there a nasty scratch or gouge along the obverse rim that is hidden by the wrapper? Will I get lucky, or will it end up being a lousy MS64?

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have any qualms about opening the roll, but I don't want to be charged with aiding and abetting the shipping company.

Chris

You know , Chris..........that's my biggest bane in the world ! Only the opposite condition ..... I get rolls of new coins from the local bank whenever they get them in and it seems that in most every roll from the vendors , the end coin is one of the best , both in strike and luster, EXCEPT , by virtue of being on the end it has the worst damage to the exposed part with smudges and small hairlines...uhhhh hair pulling.

Of the few mint shipped rolls of Halves and Dollars I have gotten from the mint , I've determined that these are pre-packaged in bulk ,in only one option- versus pre-packaging 4 rolls .....maybe they had problems with the weight causing the box to crumple? ...and just decided to stick with the 2-roll option and then send out however many boxes of 2-roll sets to meet the orders? They did the same for the Jefferson Lewis & Clark nickels ( 2 rolls per tray/box) Maybe it is more cost effective to 'assembly line ' produce these . I got a pile of those trays that rolls come in and use them for sorting circulated coins whenever I get another bag of mixed to cherry-pick.

go ahead Chris, grab life buy the onions and rip that puppy open. You could be one reverse away from than an MS70.

PS don't let that tiny nick get in the way of your 70 dream. It didn't bother the graders on that 70 penny

good luck bro

I say open it up and show us some pic's

I agree

Ditto. Grow some cojones, compadre! ;)

Stay tuned for the next episode of One Life To Live. I'll rip it open tonight after I get home from work. Pics at Six!

Chris

I agree

Do they need lots of sunlight or do they prefer shade with lots of moisture? lol

Chris

I agree

Do they need lots of sunlight or do they prefer shade with lots of moisture? lol

Chris

Uh , Chris , don't you have a few of the 'Sacs' already ? :o

I agree

Chris

Uh , Chris , don't you have a few of the 'Sacs' already ? :o

No 68's for the 2008's because I haven't searched any....................yet!

Chris