• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is BU good enough?

13 posts in this topic

Kind of a beginner's question, but here goes. When I'm browsing my local B&M for modern coins I've missed in pocket change, I often come across several of the same coin in 2x2s and labeled BU. My strategy is to pick the best and into the collection it goes for a small price, not to be worried about again. I suspect these coins only grade MS 64-65, but to me they look just fine. Am I the only person who isn't on the lookout for only top-pop 67s and 68s among moderns? Does it really matter? Of course I'm kind of a generalist right now, collecting a little bit of everything, but are basic BU coins a waste of time?

Moderns and album fillers I really don't care about getting the high grade. Its not worth it. There's really not a whole lot of difference between an MS-65 and an MS-67, certainly not enough for me to spend that much more just to put it into my old Whitman thumb-buster.

Does it really matter? ... but are basic BU coins a waste of time?

In terms of what? If you enjoy collecting them then they aren’t a waste of time and no it doesn’t matter that they aren’t the highest grade out there…

The easy answer is that if you're happy then technical grade doesn't matter.

I've filled albums for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters with coins that would grade from VF to Gem BU just pulling coins from rolls I've searched from the bank. When that's what I'm after I'm happy with it. When I'm working on other sets like the Certified MS66+ RD Lincoln Cent set linked to in my sig or the MS Morgan set I'm starting, well that's a different story entirely.

BU coins can be great for a 7070 album or similar project. Many of my raw coins have historical interest rather than absolute grade desirability.

Don't fret about pop top coins at the moment. Enjoy the purity of the hobby by approaching it like you are doing! As you continue filling albums from circulation, you will be learning more and getting full enjoyment from the hobby. Then, later on, you can expand your interests but I think that you have a great plan of action for the time being. (thumbs u

The easy answer is that if you're happy then technical grade doesn't matter.

I've filled albums for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters with coins that would grade from VF to Gem BU just pulling coins from rolls I've searched from the bank. When that's what I'm after I'm happy with it.

I've pulled coins from change to fill holes in my US type set album. I got a Roosevelt from the local supermarket that the cashier took from a new roll she had just broken open. It's probably MS66. I can't see buying an MS67+ coin when I got one with eye-popping luster for just face value.

If the overall eye-appeal is there, don't worry so much about technical grade. I've seen AU58s that look better than some I've seen slabbed as MS64. Educate yourself on grading, and then buy what you like (it's dangerous to buy what you like before you get educated or you may end up with a bunch of whizzed or otherwise doctored coins).

usually( all of the time) lol with dealers and dealer ads

that advertise any bu coins

bu means beat up and/or butt ugly sliders

yes yes yes yes.......................................

usually( all of the time) lol with dealers and dealer ads

that advertise any bu coins

bu means beat up and/or butt ugly sliders

yes yes yes yes.......................................

What I love are the TV ads that advertise Morgan dollars in "Brilliant Uncirculated to Fine condition." hm BU to F12? That's quite a range. I wonder what people get more often?

in answer to your question....................................

they usually get the shaft shoved up their wazoo and then broken off

while it is up there

this is waht they get

and then they are given 30 full days to send backtheir purchases if they are not completely satisified 100% refund less shipping lol

but they only realize they got screwed usually a year or so after when they go down to the local dealer to get an offer which is usually 20-40 cents on the dollar

and then they leave the dealer crying foul

they should offer them back to the original seller but this never happens then they again get mad at the dealer

it is a nutty world we live in with even nuttier buyers

and the wheel goes round and round