• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin microscopes

23 posts in this topic

I'm interested in a coin microscope. Problem: all the ones I see on sale at major coin stuff supplies go for several hundred dollars. I see plenty on Amazon for less than $100. Now, I can accept that you may well get what you pay for. But I used to have a microscope growing up, and so far as I'm aware, a microscope is a microscope. Long as it's solidly built, and has the level of power you want, and doesn't have some crippling flaw, it would seem that any microscope should do. (I'd draw the line at a cheapie kids' microscope, because it's probably poorly made.)

So my question would then be: do the ones offered at coin stuff suppliers confer any advantage that would justify the higher cost? If so, what is that advantage?

You'll have to make sure that the distance from the mount/platform to the lens is sufficient to allow you to slide something as thick as a coin (like a Morgan) in and focus on it.

You'll have to make sure that the distance from the mount/platform to the lens is sufficient to allow you to slide something as thick as a coin (like a Morgan) in and focus on it.

True. In fact, even thicker than a Morgan, because I also collect some ancient coins. And it should have some sort of safety catch that will keep me from taking the lens too low, because banging lens into proof coin surface = much sadness in pants.

You want a stereo microscope with about 7X to 45X magnification. Sometimes you can find them cheap in pawn shops or the newspaper classifieds. They are most available at the end of the school year because medical students and biology students use them during the school year and then sell them when the school year is over.

If you are just going to use it for examination, then one that can zoom to 40X-60X magnification is fine. You should be able to get a used one fairly cheap. However, if you want one that has photo capability, then you will have to spend a lot more. The Pac-Sci model that I have came with a gooseneck camera, imaging software and costs about $850 shipped.

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on the photo-capable Digital Blue QX5. It's imaging capability is terrible and the magnifications of 10X, 60X and 200X are fixed rather than zoom. I doubt that you will ever use the 200X, and the 60X severely limits the field of view on even a small coin like a dime.

Chris

Good ideas--thanks! I mainly want it to zoom in on potential errors and die variations, but I think it would also help me read worn ancient coins.

digital blue is only good for the small close ups. they do good for that but full coin pics are out of question. if you are looking just for the ability to capture these things its fine . but for anything else go better. i have a pro gemology scope and still cant get a full pic of a coin and i paid 3000$ for it.

I didn't read the other responses yet, but I'll make my case real quickly before I do, as I've been wanting a coin microscope for quite a while myself.

The extra cost for a good quality scope, as I understand it, involves the optics and whether or not they distort the image of the coin, especially around the edges. I own an ancient microscope that works perfectly well for seeing microbes, tiny plants, etc., but if I try to view a coin with it, only a limited viewing area is undistorted. It's a cheap scope - a kid's scope, in all honesty.

So, the extra money spent on a "real" tool should buy you much better viewing area quality.

I didn't read the other responses yet, but I'll make my case real quickly before I do, as I've been wanting a coin microscope for quite a while myself.

The extra cost for a good quality scope, as I understand it, involves the optics and whether or not they distort the image of the coin, especially around the edges. I own an ancient microscope that works perfectly well for seeing microbes, tiny plants, etc., but if I try to view a coin with it, only a limited viewing area is undistorted. It's a cheap scope - a kid's scope, in all honesty.

So, the extra money spent on a "real" tool should buy you much better viewing area quality.

James, even with the more expensive scopes, your field of view is limited unless you get one with a fish-eye or wide angle capability and those will definitely distort the image. I wouldn't suggest buying any scope for the purpose of taking whole-coin images for anything larger than a dime.

Chris

James, even with the more expensive scopes, your field of view is limited unless you get one with a fish-eye or wide angle capability and those will definitely distort the image. I wouldn't suggest buying any scope for the purpose of taking whole-coin images for anything larger than a dime.

Chris

(thumbs u

my canon cam does just what i need it to do and it is covered fully. a good cam will get just about everything that you need to capture.

Here's one I've been lusting after. I believe it will do about anything one could want to include make changes to focal points, magnification levels, etc. at a later date with additional upgrades. The basic unit is about $500 plus camera(generic is about $150). Just trying to build up courage to take the plunge. lol

Jim

Coin Microscopes

edited to add: By the way, I have the Digital Blue QX5 and it is great for the money-but will not photo coins(maybe 3 cent silver) and when you do its quite grainy. To look at errors, die cracks, doubling it is well worth the $59 I paid for it.

Here's one I've been lusting after. I believe it will do about anything one could want to include make changes to focal points, magnification levels, etc. at a later date with additional upgrades. The basic unit is about $500 plus camera(generic is about $150). Just trying to build up courage to take the plunge. lol

Jim

Coin Microscopes

edited to add: By the way, I have the Digital Blue QX5 and it is great for the money-but will not photo coins(maybe 3 cent silver) and when you do its quite grainy. To look at errors, die cracks, doubling it is well worth the $59 I paid for it.

I went to the site you listed, and called the toll free number. The trinocular microscope does not include the camera. You have to go to.....

www.truevisionmicroscopes.com

.....for the camera accessories. The 5 megapixel camera costs $500+, so the total cost of the system would be more than $1,000. Still, I like the idea of the camera attaching to the third eyepiece. It allows you to continue viewing the coin in stereoscope while you are adjusting the position for the camera. My Pac-Sci Sterescopic won't allow me to do this. I have to use one of the eyepieces for the camera.

Chris

As a quick note---make sure you don't get one designed for slides and an inferior(bottom) light source...the ones at our lab are useless for coins unless an alternate light source is shined on it...

Also, if you make submissions, remember that a quality scope may actually pay for itself in the long run....you'll be able to tell the very slight rub that might make a coin an AU58 and not worth the grading fees

especially good when looking at tricky coins like a 1921 Peace Dollar or quarter eagle Indians...

As a quick note---make sure you don't get one designed for slides and an inferior(bottom) light source...the ones at our lab are useless for coins unless an alternate light source is shined on it...

This is good info , I use a former lab 'scope and have to aim a pin-point light onto the coin surface to see details and focus/fine focus . Sometimes with the older lens it is hard to get enough light onto the surface without having tooo much shadow from the high points . I got it off ebay for almost nothing and have other uses for it , but I would not buy a new one like it to use with just coins .

This is good info , I use a former lab 'scope and have to aim a pin-point light onto the coin surface to see details and focus/fine focus . Sometimes with the older lens it is hard to get enough light onto the surface without having tooo much shadow from the high points . I got it off ebay for almost nothing and have other uses for it , but I would not buy a new one like it to use with just coins .

Both of the stereomicroscopes that Jim and I mentioned have dual lights, one above and one below the specimen table, with a separate brightness control for each.

Chris

Jim, listed this site in an earlier post. I was particularly interested in the trinocular microscope because it would allow you to maintain a stereo view while using the third eyepiece for the camera attachment. With mine, I can only look into one eyepiece while the camera utilizes the other. You should be aware that the camera is not included in the price quoted. As a matter of fact, you actually have to go to a different website for the camera. The total cost of the trinocular microscope with the camera is a little over $1,000.

Chris

Whups. Sorry, Chris. I guess I was looking around and didn't realize it'd already been listed.

Whups. Sorry, Chris. I guess I was looking around and didn't realize it'd already been listed.

No big deal! Sometimes when I open a thread for the first time and there are numerous posts, I'll skip around to the ones that hold my interest.

Chris

True. At the same time, since I started the thread, I have little excuse for such a duh moment.

In any case, I've just about settled on the 20x-40x stereo microscope from coinmicroscopes.com. Will come to just over $200 including shipping. This combined with the cherrypickers' guide volumes should enable me to figure out just about any die variety situation there might be.

Much appreciate the general help. I'm going to pay the board back for it by collating the information into what I hope will become a WYNTK post, since we do not currently have one on coin microscopes.

Okay. Here is my collation. I hope the readers will find any faults before I try suggesting it join Club WYNTK.

What You Need to Know About Coin Microscopes (draft)

Not just any microscope will suffice for viewing coins. Here are things to take into account:

Choosing

1) The distance from platform to lens must let you zero in on the largest possible coin you might want to examine (for most, a cartwheel dollar).

2) A stereo microscope is desirable because it provides a three-dimensional view through dual eyepieces. These are also called dissecting microscopes, and are a subset of the family of optical microscopes.

3) Good sample ranges for magnification would be 7x-45x, 20x-40x and possibly 40x-60x. Ultimately, you need something that can view the entirety of a large coin without distorting the edges, yet can blow up a small feature (especially a mint mark or date) large enough to see any die varieties/errors.

4) If you want photo capability, the cost goes up quite a bit. At this writing, a good basic stereo microscope can be yours for roughly $200+/-. Expect to spend 4-5 times that much for photo capability--and before you order, make sure that you don't have to buy an expensive attachment above and beyond that in order to actually take the pictures.

5) If you go cheaper, what you will most likely sacrifice is illumination (ideally you would have light sources above and below) and ability to image the whole coin. Most microscopes will let you zero in on something tiny; the problem is getting one that will let you see a whole cartwheel or Saint. You may also find weaknesses in image clarity.

6) One nice feature is the ability to attach a camera to a third eyepiece. Spendy but handy.

7) If you get a 'scope designed for slides with only a bottom light source, you'll need an alternate light source to use it at all. This is the problem with some biology microscopes for coin viewing.

Locating

1) If you're looking to get one cheaply, consider pawnshops. Timing also matters. At the end of the school year, a lot of students may glut the local used market with them, bringing prices down.

2) One company that specializes in coin 'scopes is the unsurprisingly named Coin Microscopes, a subset of Bargain Microscopes. Another good option is TrueVision Microscopes.

3) Your local Craigslist is always an option, and would probably enable to try before you buy. If you go to look over a used 'scope, of course, take a coin or two with you.

Usage

1) Care for a microscope like you would care for any precision optical instrument with glass lenses.

2) Be very careful when zooming in with some microscopes. The last thing you want is to dig into the surface of a fine coin with the lens. Some have a catch that will keep the lens from going that low by accident. If you have one, use it.

3) Remember that there aren't many cases when you need a 'scope for grading, because most grading specs refer to a 5x or 10x loupe at most. For detecting errors and die varieties, however, a microscope is helpful.

4) Halogen lights get very hot and are sensitive to touch, so consider the impact of this on your coins (and fingers).

Credits for the information: Revenant, PerryHall, cpm9ball, ant, James_EarlyUS, Jackson64 and coin. I, JKK, provided virtually none of it. In the main, I just collated what they said.